Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

wiring up a horn for the morry & adjusting front suspens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gymboots
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: wiring up a horn for the morry & adjusting front suspens Reply with quote

Can someone point me in the right direction?I had to run new wiring for the horn as I could'nt follow the old wiring,I am obviously doing something wrong because when I reconnect the battery the horn goes.I'm only trying to fit a button to the dash.

Now on to another subject, can the front suspension be adjusted up because every time I hit a bump in the road the suspension bottoms out.I'm not sure if it is due to the extra weight of a datsun motor being fitted.Any help would be appreciated.Oh! the morry is a 1955 2 door.

fweddy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the horn - others will correct me where I'm wrong but I understand that the horn and one other part of the minor (don't remember which) always has a complete circut and only works when it is cut off - I know that's not making sense but its some thing in that realm. The switch works in reverse?!? Eye Rolls

Re the suspension, it could be that it is too weak and you might need uprated torsion bars but if the normal ride height is also too low you can shift the torsion bars around one spline to raise it up or take it the other way one spline to lower it. If it is a smaller amount that needs adjusting look at the back of the torsion bar and you will notice the arm on it attaches with a small plate with about 5 holes drilled in it. Choosign a different hole to use to mount in also adjusts the torsion bar setting. I'm referring to a 73 pickup so the earlier cars may or may not have this.

Note also that adjusting the spline settings will change your angle of leverage and hence affect your front end geometery.

There will be much more educated folk on both these topics to follow me.

jg1982
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't bottom out particularly easily if its at factory ride height. Maybe one or both of the lever arm dampers are out of oil or stuffed.
Is the datsun motor a typical A series? If so, I wouldn't think there would be enough extra weight to make a huge difference, maybe someone else who has done a conversion or three will have a better idea.
Tried the old suspension bounce test?

mnrmax
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is the suspension hitting not the engine? We have a morrie with datsun conversion and because the sump is so low it hits over big bumps or off kerbs. We are considering shortening the sump so it isn't so low.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gymboots
Re Horn a good workshop manual has wiring diagram.
The horn is powered from fuse via purple wire Circuit goes through horn returns to button on column via purple / black wire circuit is made when button is pressed going to frame on Yellow Sedan Yellow Ute Eye Rolls Eye Rolls steering column back to battery through steel body.

Scouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the suspension bottoms out with the Datsun motor, then it must have done it also with the Minor motor (unless you're now hitting the bumps a lot faster Very Happy ).

The BMC workshop manual has the standard height specs printed out & you can use these to compare with your car. As a general rule, the lower edge of the sill panel should be approx 11" above the ground. This is for standard size wheels/tyres.

It's quite easy to upgrade the front suspension but you won't need to replace the torsion bars unless you're planiing on going racing. If the lever arm dampers are stuffed, upgrade them by fitting telescopics.

Re the horn - as explained, theirs permanent power to the horn & the switch just completes the earth.
If you have an early car with the slip ring on the column, it's quite easy to mix up the assembly process of the tang & have it contstantly connected to earth. The '55 will have the slip ring.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiper motor is the other one.
It has constant power to the motor so that it can park even after the (earth) switch is turned off.
Unless the windscreen leeks that bad that under the dash gets drowned & creats an earth so you cant turn the wipers off at all Eye Rolls
Trev
Aus

fweddy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unless the windscreen leeks that bad that under the dash gets drowned & creats an earth so you cant turn the wipers off at all

You might be needing the wipers on still if there is that much water about.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After driving through a heavy thunder storm, hail & all, the missus parked in the shed, brought all the groceries in, then said you better go & look at the wipers they wont turn off, I went out to hear the horrible niose of wipers running dry, i disconected the battery & had a look under the dash it was dripping from every where, i blew it out with a compresser, waited to the next day, reconnected the battery & it has never done it again since.
Trev
Aus

Scouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev aus wrote:
it has never done it again since.
That's because it hasn't rained since.
Isn't global warming wonderful Very Happy .

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Trev aus wrote:
it has never done it again since.

(Thats just in Sydney - we had record rainfall over the weekend and the Bruce hwy was cut due to flooding till yesterday lunchtime), back on subject I had the same problem with water leaking into dash and I replaced the bonnet hinge gaskets

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

I don't wont to spoil her with dry feet Very Happy (my morrie dont leak)
Trev
Aus

Mog Dog
2nd gear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.......(+) Earth??? or (-)??? as problem appears as Batt is connected.

I dunno....just thinking out loud.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone refers to earth, (ground) it is always the return path through the body, doesn't matter weither it's pos + or neg - . the only reason they used the body as a return path for the power was to save wire. Fibre glass bodied cars dont have an earth at all, it's just pos & neg.

The only thing that is affected is acceseries, like radio, gauges, heater going backwards.
Trev
Aus

rad1
overdrive

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
It's quite easy to upgrade the front suspension but you won't need to replace the torsion bars unless you're planiing on going racing.

hey scott - what torsion bar "replacement option" you referring to?

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are upgraded torsion bars available in the UK.

I'm not sure how much stronger they are.
I think there's around 1.5x & 2x.

gymboots
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: morry horn & suspension sorted Reply with quote

Thank's to everyone for the advice regarding wiring up the horn & suspension problem. I have the wiring issue with the horn solved & I have ordered a front suspension conversion kit from Barry in Auburn.I think the front dampeners are just buggered. [/b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: