Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

The American '59 Truck Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Man
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: The American '59 Truck Build Reply with quote

I am going to start my build thread for my '59 pick up. Here are the pictures of what it looked liked when I picked it up.

Plans for the truck are to build a whole new chassis for it. It will be a little larger than stock as I plan to swap the smaller truck doors for a set of 2 door coupe doors. It will run a IFS in the front and S10 rear with coilovers on all four corners. I will be dropping in a Buick 215 Aluminum V8 with plenty of modifications backed by a 200R4 overdrive automatic. I will also have to make a bed of my own since one did not come with it and finding one is not going to happen over here.

Here is an example of what I would be going for.

Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider looking at using the entire S10 chassis. The track width works (pre '91 as I recall) and the chassis is relatively easy to shorten. There are ready made V8 kits and I'm sure you could adapt the Buick or use a SBC. It's a proven swap and since you plan on using the longer doors, it shouldn't be terribly hard to build around the motor.

Just my $.02 here...

J Man
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought of that, figure it would be too wide. There is a company over here in the states that makes chassis for the Morris Minors. They start at $6000 US. I have a friend that can build me a chassis, this is what I was thinking of doing. Get a custom front clip and having the rest made by him. I can probibly get that done for a little over half of the cost of the other chassis. I will still look into the S10 stuff though. Thanks

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little ute is beuuuutiful Very Happy
Why cant we do that shit over here. Mad
Trev
Aus

frosty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan wrote:
You might want to consider looking at using the entire S10 chassis. The track width works (pre '91 as I recall) and the chassis is relatively easy to shorten. There are ready made V8 kits and I'm sure you could adapt the Buick or use a SBC. It's a proven swap and since you plan on using the longer doors, it shouldn't be terribly hard to build around the motor.

Just my $.02 here...

For those of us who dont have a clue .......

..... about S10 's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S10

st6364
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a 3 week trip to the US. I went to a cruise night at the NHRA museum in Pomona and that red pickup was there. I had a good chat with the owner and got some nice photos of it. His son is building up a traveller. And it would be great if we could build cars like that and register them here. They have so much more freedom with modifications over there. Plus rego is cheap, I was talking to the owner of a 32 Ford coupe and it cost $65 per year to register

J Man
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st6364 wrote:
and that red pickup was there.

Can you share any pictures you might have?

Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevrolet S10 Pickup:
* short (72.8") bed =108.3 in. wb.
* long (88.8") bed =117.9 in. wb.
* extended cab=122.9 in. wb.

* track, f/r (in.):
'82-'93: 54.1/54.1

'94-'04: 54.5 / 54.6

The pre '93 chassis works (track width-wise) and you can get a donor S10 easily enough. Someone even makes a rack and pinion setup for an S10 for under $1000.

If you use an S10 Blazer for a donor, the chassis has less kick-up in the rear, and you might be able to use the stock fuel tank due to it's running parallel along the frame rail.

Do a search for "JTR" (Jags that run) they make motor mounts, crossmembers, and even publish a manual on how to mount a SBC into a S10. The Chevy is bigger, but it MUCH cheaper and easier than going the small Buick/Rover V8. (IMHO, of course)

I personally think you could do the entire thing for under $6k, but I'm a cheap SOB, so don't mind me.

Here's a guy going the build-a-chassis route, and check out his cost tally.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res726b0/spridget/id13.html

J Man
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't happen to have the measurements for the Morris Chassis would you? My main issue is with the front wheels. On the red truck they look like thay had to go with a FWD (front wheel drive) wheel from the suspension being too wide. I guess I would have to look into finding narrow control arms. I would run a 15x4 in the front but I would want a RWD (rear wheel drive) wheel.

I actually have another car I am dealing with the same issues. I have a '54 Hudsun Jet that I am trying to find a chassis to swap it on to. The came unibody origionally. I think a Toyota truck chassis might be a better fit, it is just a matter of getting the measurements.

My reason for going with the 215 is the fact that they are light, a lot of HP in a small package when built and I have 3 of them.

Thanks for the info. That will give me more to look into. I still need to find a set of doors. The ones I thought I was going to get, they ended up crushing the car.

Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the track width on the Morris is appx 50 5/8" but there is plenty of room to add two inches per side over the stock track width. I have seen two Morris' that use an S10 chassis, and I remember one using Camaro rims. I also saw a hot rod type chassis where the fellow used a Mustang II front with the front track of 54".

Anyway, I'm not trying to talk you into anything. It sounds like a fun project either way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: