Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Hi all , newby here.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Hi all , newby here. Reply with quote

G`day everybody , I have just bought a Morry tourer as a weekend toy for the missus, I have been trying to find a bit of info about them and it looks like this is the right place Very Happy
First up , how can you tell if the vehicle is a factory tourer or a chop top ?
The numbers are : Type FBB51 Engine F3/171349 Body 309678/45364.

The car has been fitted with a Datto 1200 donk and box, but still has the stock brakes, is that going to pass licence in W.A.?? Apparently it has been licenced in Victoria as is.

So far I know I am up for a rewire and some rust issues in the left hand sill area , and probably some front end work , are king pins etc easily available ?
I am thinking about adding some underbody bracing when doing the rust as the body seems quite flimsy - is this something that is commonly done to stiffen up a tourer ?

Sorry about all the questions , I will post some pics of it once it comes out of quarantine .
Cheers, Blacky.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome matey, just on my way out, i'm sure the gurru's will aswer you questions Very Happy
Trev
Aus
ps toy for the missus Eye Rolls yea right, i've used that one before Very Happy

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I'm a big believer in your signature there Trev, the missus had a V6 EK until a month or 2 ago , we sold it to buy a new Corolla and then she saw the Mozza on Epay and said "I always wanted a red convertible"

Thats all the encouragement I needed

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hi all , newby here. Reply with quote

blacky wrote:
First up , how can you tell if the vehicle is a factory tourer or a chop top ?
The numbers are : Type FBB51 Engine F3/171349 Body 309678/45364.
The easiest way is the check the reinforcements that brace the body (hopefully it has them). There's one on either underside of the dash that brace it to the A pillars.
At the B pillars, there's a brace each side that goes to the inner sill panel.Check the welds - factory welds are spot welds. If they're not spot welds, then it may not be genuine.

But judging by your ID tag, it looks like a converted sedan.

Quote:
I am thinking about adding some underbody bracing when doing the rust as the body seems quite flimsy - is this something that is commonly done to stiffen up a tourer ?
It shouldn't be necessary if the body is in good condition.
Saying that though, some do it & it can help.

Last edited by Scouse on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott, you wouldnt know where there are some pictures of these braces I could look at by any chance ???

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack it up under the front corner, if you can then open the doors it should be right Very Happy
Trev
Aus

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Blacky, welcome to the forum, and good luck with your new venture.
ESM spares in UK have a cattle dog with exploded views of the panels you are asking about, they will post it out to you for a small fee, they are also reasonable with their spare parts and will supply all of those reinforcement panels if you need them.
You can also tell if you have an original Tourer by the panel above the windscreen it should have a seam facing back towards the rear seat if original,or if it is smooth all over then probably a home chop job, once you see the difference of an original tourer you will see what l mean, hope this helps.
William

59 Coupe under Resto Blue Sedan

57 Convertible soon Red Convertible

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers William , it has an indented section on each side in the top of the windscreen - like a thumbprint .
Heres a link to the Ebay auction and you can see the pics.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=190256155239

Tom
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blacky
My impression is that it is a chop top. The header panel above the screen is probably an after market kit part, it has the positions for the hood pins but look like they have never been fitted.(But it could be genuine and had the screw holes filled when the original top was taken off.) The top fitted of course in non genuine as are the bows and press studs. It is also likely to be a 1955, centre speedo but split screen and 1000 grille. The door window frames should be chrome by this year also(I think) All this is academic anyway and I am sure you will enjoy it for what it is, not for what it might, should or could be. Very Happy Very Happy
You should make your way down to Waroona this coming Sunday as the Morris Car Club of WA are having a display for the Minors 60th birthday.
Hoping for 60 Minors (which wouldn't be a bad effort for WA)
There will be quite a few convertibles, modified and standard, (and tourers Very Happy ) there for you to look at and compare.
Probably see you around the streets when you get it all sorted.

Tom

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G`day Tom , this weekend i will be at Burswood for the Hotrod show, I am the electrician for the event so cant stray too far from the dome unfortunately.

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blacky,had a look at your pics, seems like it may have been converted, the hood definately not original as the connection for the hood bows to the rear quarter panel should be on the inside. there should be reinforcement panels running from under the dashboard ends to the "A" pillar normally with a set of holes for a manualy operated interior lights. I disagree with the last post as if one is converted with a proper "Kit" from UK and done properly you cannot tell, except for the ID plate, anyway this is all academic as you have a good buy and you will have a lot of fun with your Morry, l have seen original ones sell for $18000.00 even in the UK they are still bringing big money.

Very Happy Yellow Sedan 57 coupe undert resto

Eye Rolls Yellow Convertible 56 convertible soon

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top lookin project.
I'm no covertable expert but the boys are probably right, it don't look right Very Happy as was said the top looks like it is setup so you can drill it out for original pins. & that hood doesn't have the nice curve like the original.

Saying that it doesn't really matter, it will be a fun car, you will still get sun burnt wether it's genuine or not Very Happy

You have an early 1200 motor, they are fine just if you need parts, you need to ask for the 1200 sedan. not the 120y-onwards.

Over here it would need to be engineered for engine & chopped roof, so you might want to fit some better brakes & get the whole lot done at once.
Trev
Aus

Tom
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I disagree with the last post as if one is converted with a proper "Kit" from UK and done properly you cannot tell,

William
What I said was "The header panel above the screen is probably an after market kit part, it has the positions for the hood pins but looks like they have never been fitted."
I wholey agree with you that if a 2dr sedan is converted with a complete kit and the job done properly the end product is hard to pick, but some people don't buy the whole kit, only the tricky bits like the screen top.
You will quite offen find bits for conversions crop up for sale (ebay, swap meets etc)

Tom

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Yes thanks Tom, l have seen some terrible conversions over here, some don't even fit the reinforcements and l wonder how they pass rego, l can't see from the pics whether "Blacky" has them fitted or not, I am a retired Panelbeater so l want perfection for mine no matter how long it takes as l will be too old to convert another.
Regards William Ballard

Eye Rolls 59 coupe under resto Blue Sedan

57 convertible soon Blue Convertible

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see any bracing up under the dash , or at the base of the B pillar.
I spoke to a bloke at the show tonight with a nice dark blue ute who gave me the name of a bloke down Armadale way who is in the club and can help me out with parts to convert to discs and also supply rust repair sections so I will give him a call once I know what I need.
Thanks for your kind words and advice guys. Very Happy

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally picked it up yesterday , the transport company lost the keys Mad , got started on it last night - found this :-

Which no doubt would be causing this:-

So I decided to strip it and get it blasted tomorrow and see whats left , interior is out and will see what tomorrow brings. I have pressed up new inner sills and all the bits for the convertible conversion but they probably wont be needed this weekend - will be up to my elbows with rust repairs Eye Rolls

Scouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it too late to get your money back?

From the eBay ad:
Genuine convertible not a "chop top".
Body in very good condition.

You'd have good reason to & I don't think PayPal would be able to say no (if you paid that way).

Lucky you can do these repairs yourself otherwise another car would be on the cards.
If the sills are that bad, wait until you remove the front guards Shocked .

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After shipping the car from Vic to W.A. it would get messy - I had a mate look at it for me so "buyer beware"
Its only steel - keep welding bits in until its fixed Very Happy

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blacky, l agree once you take that step you have to keep going with it. the guy " up Armidale way" would'nt be PETER JACKSON would it?
Blacky just some advice, like SCOTT said take all your Guards off and check for Rust around rear spring hangers, rear boot floor, Rails, inner lower "B" pillars, ETC, ETC but before you cut anything out jack up and support all the strenght areas, check how everything fits, swing the doors and get them fitting exactly, if you have trouble with the "TOP OF THE REAR 1/4 PANEL" jack out and support diagonally and leave all ot the supports in place until you complete welding.
I don't know how they drove this car? As it not only had no reinforcements panels the ones that count are rusted out!
Blacky: Love your intention and your confidence some people would be ready to throw the towel in by now. Eye Rolls
William Ballard.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just shows they can look great from the outside Mad
Trev
Aus

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William , is the Peter Jackson you refer to Jacko from Jacksons rare guitars ? He is a fellow FB/EK freak - I know him from the FB/EK forum.
Pulled the guards off this morning, no real surprises there, the boot floor looks O.K. and I will blast the spring hangers when I have the sandblaster fired up - hope theres enough to weld back together ! Shocked

william ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blacky, he used to own Peter Jacksons Antique Panels in Emu Plains NSW but has now moved to nothern tabelands somewhere, l think he had a marraige breakdown? but man he can fabricate anything and he did make a lot of early Holden stuff. l bought panels off him when l was restoring "A" fords years ago, someone on the Forum might know his new address. Good Luck with the Convertible.
William Ballard.

Tom
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as you mention "Armadale" (WA) and "Morris Minor" everyone in WA knows it is Brian P (Blue turbo ute, red 4age ute)
You realy should drop in and see him sooner than latter. Could save you a lot of dramas.

Tom
(ps I know his business phone has been out of order for the past few days)

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at his shop this morning Tom, bought a few bits and pieces Very Happy

He certainly knows his Morrys - and has some very nice examples , that red ute is a pearler !

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandblasted it yesterday, heres what we found ..... nice convertible conversion !!!! Some pretty substantial bracing there Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Thats25x25x3 angle - and self tappers Eye Rolls

Front of left hand sill

Right hand side not so bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: