Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Mazzy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant69

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a breakthrough tonight, I had a total rethink on how to fabricate the mounts and came up with an even better solution, hopefully(if I get time) at work tomorrow I will graft the nose of the morry wipers to the ae93, thus solving my mounting issue

DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't see many Mazda 1000 utes around these days (like the one that provided the chassis for Grant's project).

I was interested to see one bob up on fleabay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAZDA-1976-DROP-SIDE-TRAY-BACK-SUIT-DATSUN-TOYOTA-BUYER-/250861934129?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3a68895631#ht_632wt_1106.

I just thought some might like to see what the original vehicle looks like.

Cheers
Don

grant69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are on to version 3 as I keep refining and simplifying the design

This is how it will end up, no welding yet, should be ready by the weekend

grant69

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Wipers are still not finished need to do some aluminum welding which I can only do at work. Today I played with the fuel tank, I have mocked up a daewoo intank efi pump for my fuel tank, needs a few holes drilling in the mounting plate but almost done. I still need to adapt a unleaded filler. I am still looking at a flip down behind the number plate hidden filler, but have also toyed with other ideas today. The deawoo fuel tank would fit under the rear seat with a little modification and I almost went that way today as it would free up where the tank is for a spare wheel but I figured I can put a safety spare under the rear seat. I will try and take some photos tomorrow. I am keen to get the tank sorted as I want to get the body off the chassis in the next couple of weeks

LRS
At rest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grant,
I am keen to know more about the underseat tank, I was looking into fuel cells, but if you can fit a tank under the seat that would be a huge plus in terms of space saving.
Am I on the right path or does this mod only pertain to your Mazda / Morris.

Also keen to see more of the wiper mods.

Best,
Leigh Very Happy

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I empty out my two door I will put the tank in there and try it and take some photos for you, I am certain it will fit easier in the two door than my project, the tank itself is only 200mm at its highest and goes down to about 70mm, it fits nicely between the wheel arches. Wiper info will follow as I finish them

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,hanging out to see your progress on the new wiper arrangement.

grant69

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been super busy at work, need to cut drill and join one shaft and weld bodys together, hopefully this week, still playing with the fuel tank today

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ive had a busy but not very productive weekend, tried 16 in rims and they look great, only took video on my iphone so no pics, I found the brake calipers hit the sway bar on not quite full lock so I am after a new setup, ventilated and maybe twin piston. Sorry its boring but next weekend i will have more photos

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so,is there any more progress on this yet???

frosty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmy-d wrote:
so,is there any more progress on this yet???

Hi there.. Pete, jimmy-d, meandmozzi; .... long time

How are the projects going ?

grant69

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few weeks of personal dramas and club duties the last two weekends, I will be back in the shed tomorrow, stay tuned for more pics and updates over the weekend

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks ago at the Cairns Swap meet to promote the Qld Club

This weekend I basically worked on the convertible top, it was totally seized, I have managed to get it all working.

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep you all up to date, I have been sourcing a radiator as the one i was going to use won't fit with the mazda chassis rails, I have found a Toyota unit, which is almost same dimensions as the morris just aluminum and thinner, I am chasing a good price as I want a new one. I have also found some hinges to go inside the bonnet and boot, I think I will keep them a surprise for now. I need a day trip to the wreckers to source some new front disc calipers and a fuel filler for my tank. My nephew is currently making a stand for the body so we can take it off the chassis. He used to be a Toyota Master Technician so I have booked him in for October to do the engine swap. In the mean time I am chasing a new bonnet, and need to repair the front grill panel and I want to take the front guards off to rustproof them on the inside. As for the wiper motor I broke my thumb a few weeks ago and haven't been able to weld, I hope to get back into it this week

LRS
At rest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Radiator Reply with quote

Grant, my brother inlaw works for PWR on the Gold Coast.

I have never asked but I could....

LRS

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks that would be great, they only list rx7, but I am sure they will have something that fits, I want twin piston min, mounts are 5.5in centres or 140mm, I'm sure that would be a standard size for brake manufacturers as they wouldn't want hundreds of different size calipers

LRS
At rest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator Reply with quote

LRS wrote:
Grant, my brother inlaw works for PWR on the Gold Coast.

I have never asked but I could....

LRS

I thought we were talking about cooling , not stopping Eye Rolls

I am confuddled now.

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry brain fade I was thinking PBR, although pwr do brakes as well

LRS
At rest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will leave it with you...

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the hinges today, they are coming from the land of the long white cloud, cast aluminum $20 pair, hope they work like I hope Yellow Convertible

Kels kustom
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Newbie Reply with quote

Hi grant I've been following your build on your convertible . Looking very cool can't wait to see the end result . I've also got some question I thought you might like to help me with . My project is a 50,s model morrie 2 door I've just started od a 4 inch cut on the roof I'm also widening the rear guards 3 inchs . I've just got a. Mazda 1000 chassis witch I won't to put under her was wondering what sort of chassis mods need to be done to get it to fit . Any feed back would be good .

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't do the chassis mods, but here is what I know. The chassis is a std 74 datsun 1000 ute chassis. The complete floor from firewall to boot has been replaced with a single piece of metal 1.8mm thick. This replaces all the interior floor chassis, sill strengtheners etc. They cut out the transmission panel to clear the gearbox which is screwed into place. There are no removable sill covers in the door openings, everything is remade in sheet and welded. A complete curved section has been fabricated from the door openings around the back of the car and too the other side. There are new folded sections weld in for front and rear seat mounts. The windscreen frame has been strengthened and the quaterglass cut down and removed for solid glass. New inner guards and lower engine trays have been fabricated from the same steel. From the underside the floor is completely flat, except where the rear axle goes and the floor is folded up over that. The quality of the workmanship and welding is second to none. The body is held to the chassis with 8 bolts which line up with the original mazda mounts
Hope this helps.
P.S hope to be doing the engine swap in two weeks

Kels kustom
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Kels reply Reply with quote

Hi grant sounds like your guys did a real good job with the old shell getting the chassis underit .was wondering if you new more about the chassis itself if it had been cut and shut to fit . Ie a few inch taken out of the middle so the track length was the same as the morrie . Widened or shortened the width aswell . I expected to rebuild the entire new floor , sill ect.. I no alot of people that house 13 b turbos with a few hindered horses pumping out of them . But do you no if anyone has built one with a v8 . My plans are to put a 5 ltr injected 5 speed manual in my little girl . Won't to built a go kart on steroids . Seen it done in the uk . Guy was running a 318 hemi v8. Also seen a morrie with 4 ltr turbo rover v8 . Havnt Jerad if it done here yet . So I thought I might aswell do it .

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kel,sounds like you have an interesting project on the go there but a serious question,do you expect/hope to drive it on the road as a legally registered vehicle because if you do I think you may be very disappointed by the rules and regs that now control what can and cant be built.Would suggest that you have a chat to an engineer before you go much futher for your own piece of mind.Grant69's project is also way cool but a lot of time,engineering and fabrication have definitely gone into it and I doubt that it is a job for average skilled tooler!Apologies if I have misunderstood your post but Im pretty sure that they biggest engine you can shove in a morrie these days is around 2.1-2.3 ltr although it all depends on weight and the engineer I guess.

Kels kustom
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy thanks for your post . I think you're right about the engine size the biggest you can legally put in a Morris is around what you've sugestted . But if I register it as a hotrod not a Morris I think I can get the 5 ltr in Ok a friend of mine has a 318 in a Austin a40 ute . On full rego in qld . If they can put 350 chevs on rails and a fiberglass shell I'm sure my project would be ok too .may have to add some strength too the chassis I'm sure . But this I'm quite capable of doing . Still not set in stone but I reacon it's possible . How cool would that be

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: