Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Catergory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » National Rally - Moss Vale NSW 2013
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Catergory Reply with quote

Have decided to register for Rally
I would presume class for my car as before as Modified A
However, reading the regs it states that telescopic shocks makes it Mod B then states modification for saftey are accepted.
So if shocks are for Saftey it is Mod A if not Mod B
Last rally I entered "B" and was moved to "A"
Very confusing???????

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since my last Rally but you can enter whichever class you like if you're prepared to lose points for 'incorrect' items.

Technically you should be in Mod B with the telescopics but you'll be up against more modified cars.
Stay in Mod A & you'll lose some points for the teles but be amongst similar cars in every other respect.

From what I've seen though, every Rally seems to have their owns rules so what I've just said may not aopply at the next one.

grant69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I would never put a car in for judging, I think it would be helpful to have a standard set of judging rules which would clarify all the little points which could be posted on the forum for all to see, many other clubs do this.

Mighty Morry
overdrive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

We have made a few minor modifications to the rally Judging for the classes, which we will have up on our website as soon as they are typed up.

We used the last rally sheets as a guideline and after some positive imput it has been decided to update it to reflect these changes.

John to answer your question you can go into modified A with telescopic shocks. We see this as a safety enhancement and therefore you will not be penalised.

For those that have already sent their judging classes in for their car you can amend the classes you nominated if it is deemed a changed within the amendments.

Hope this helps, keep an eye on our website for any updates.

Thanks Pam Red Woody

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

If I get there next year I will certainly not be having my car judged after my observations on Port Macquarie.
My car was never pretty enough to win anything but at least it was roadworthy and fully engineered, at least one prize winner's car , by his own admission, was not. He had replaced the skinny wheels used to pass engineering with wider ones which would not have passed, therefore did not qualify to enter the event. That is just the one I know about. There were plenty of others with wide wheels which looked doubtful.
I saw another prize winner, of the lowlight variety, loaded into a covered trailer and towed off the field, not allowed I believe.
The rules are the rules they are either applied to everyone or it becomes a joke.
To allow additional modifications on the basis that they are safer is rubbish, on that basis any modernization could be argued on the grounds of safety.
The car is either original or it is modified.
Degrees of modification is rubbish.
Mine is customised because the panel under the grill has been extended a couple of inches
I could argue that the extension acts as an air dam and makes the car safer at 110kph and therefore should only be modified.
Or it could be argued that all the modifications I have made make the car safer there fore maybe it show be standard, as I said rubbish.
It is either original or modified, black or white, no shades of grey.

Cheers
Graham
Very Happy Very Happy Blue Sedan Very Happy Very Happy

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham
If you feel that way about the event and the judging why would you want to come????
Pretty is not a catergory requirement.
Seems to me you are wheeling a double sided sword here.
To enjoy the rally you need to be in the spirit of it.
If we use your guide line those not on cross ply tyres are modified or
perhaps custom.
Do not take it so seriously and enjoy. Red Sedan Red Ute Red Convertible Red Woody

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

You are right John, any car that is not showroom original, is modified from the original specifications as built.
Being a little bit modified is like being a little bit pregnant. You either are or are not.

Pretty may not be a criteria but can you name any trophy winners that were not pretty?

I am not objecting to having a multitude of slightly different classes, just that the rules as stated in the event literature should be applied, with out fear or favour to all competitors.
This clearly was not the case at PM, evidenced by my examples above.

I did not expect to get anywhere in the judging in PM, I entered as the best parking at Brisbane ( the only other Morry rally I had been too.) had been for the judged cars, this was not necessarily the case at PM so I need not have bothered.

I am quite prepared to enter into the spirit of the event, if I new what it was.

I went to all the bits of PM I could get to, subject to some car troubles.

Cheers
Graham

redback
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Convertible Red Convertible I have been to a number of rallies and I must say that I used to have my car judged and on numerous times the rally organizers could not add up the scores or would miss major items
When I went to the rally in Perth1995 they missed a whole page when I pointed this out to the rally director I was given a trophy for a different catorgory and told to keep quite I did not want the trophy just an apology
The next National Rally was in Canberra and I did win our catorgory since then I have never had a car judged.
Regards Heather

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham
Port Macquarie was my first nationals. I liked it a lot and enjoyed it immensely. I met you there and drooled over morex. I only attended so that I could park my car and walk away…not for competition. I mainly wanted to meet other people and to cast my eye over other people’s cars. The only trouble was there were too many people around my car and Tony’s, to safely walk away.

I will not go to next years nationals, as, too me, it was simply too much for my wife and I. So, next year, I will go to the morry muster as this seems to be a lay back scene and no judging.
Maybe something for you to consider if do not agree with the judging but want to enjoy the meeting and greeting

Regards
Kel

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kel
What if we all did not go????
And you are only up the road compared to WA and SA
Red Sedan Yellow Sedan Blue Convertible

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

Kel
I am like you, I went to PM to see the cars and meet people, it all got a bit messed up with my car troubles on the Saturday but generally accomplished the meet and see. But after what I saw of the judging I could not take the prize giving seriously. To give the furthest travelled to someone who towed their car instead of someone who drove their Morry nearly as far typified the event with inequitable application of the rules, to the letter of the rule they probably were right but they drove a modern 4x4, silly result. Yet other cars which were not roadworthy did not have the letter of the rules applied

I may get there next year to have a look , a few too many variables at this stage to say.
The Morry Muster sounds like fun but I try to avoid going south of the tropic in winter.

John

You left out the NT.
If people are voting with their feet and not attending may be the organising group should be asking why.
The Morry muster seems to get good attendance and that is every year.

Cheers
Graham

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham
If you feel so strongly about what happens at the rallys ask your Morris Minor Club to make you a rally delegate and instigate some changes or volunteer to do some Judging they aways need more.
This way you can help to bring in change.
Red Ute Red Sedan Blue Sedan Yellow Woody

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I agree with you that it would be bad if we ALL didn't go to the National's. However I only suggested an alternative to Graham, as I will try the alternative.

Maybe the alternative would be the same, but there is no harm in trying.

To me, it’s about gathering ideas, from other people, and then using the ideas on my car. Copying what other people have done. Seeing what other people have created with their morries.

Talking to like minded people. To understand how someone modified their morry to show off.

It's all about fun, to me. Not about judging. In PM, my car was presumably only judged because it had a forum sticker on it.

But everyone to their own.

Regards
Kel

bigcarle
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's all about fun, to me. Not about judging

my clubs FREE display day in October (21st) is exactly that, just a day to show your car and talk to like minded people and fun, no stress
just 2 trophy's on offer, Peoples choice and the people choose there best themed (if applicable) car.
it has been a very popular event and this year is the 19th time it has been run.
more in the club event section
ALL Morries ANY condition welcome

Scouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:
Graham
If you feel so strongly about what happens at the rallys ask your Morris Minor Club to make you a rally delegate and instigate some changes or volunteer to do some Judging they aways need more.
This way you can help to bring in change.
Red Ute Red Sedan Blue Sedan Yellow Woody
It appears there's not much point in having delegates now if the rules can be changed without going through a meeting:
Mighty Morry wrote:
Hello all,

We have made a few minor modifications to the rally Judging for the classes, which we will have up on our website as soon as they are typed up.

We used the last rally sheets as a guideline and after some positive imput it has been decided to update it to reflect these changes.

John to answer your question you can go into modified A with telescopic shocks. We see this as a safety enhancement and therefore you will not be penalised.
When I was a delegate, we had to go through hell & high water to get the slightest rule changes through but now it seems like it's virtually a free for all.

I've been attending Rallys since 1989. Due to family reasons, my last was 2005.

In all those years, the Rally scene has changed from being a major Morris Minor social event with some very nice home built cars to an all out competition to see who can spend the most $$ to win the most trophies. As the years went on, there was more & more bickering about who should be where & people were even checking out the numbers in other categories - if the numbers were low (less competition) then they'd change their car to fit the other category so they'd have a better chance of taking home a trophy.

The 2013 Rally is only 15/20min from my place - I think I'll go down on the Saturday to catch up with old friends but I certainly won't be looking at the trailer queens.

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the presentation night to be a bit boring, the number of trophies given out seemed excessive, I would like to see no more than 5 trophies, best mm, series 2, 1000, commercial and peoples choice. Other than that I really enjoy the friendships and the cars, and coming from such an isolated part of the world catching up with fellow club members and forum members is a real treat. To me the Nationals is about sharing your passion with like minded people, I would even be happy to see the meal times without separate tables for each club, as it adds to "the rivalry" instead of a caring sharing attitude. Just my two cents

grumpy
Happy to be Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day all

I am one of the delegates from the Perth, Brisbane and Port Macquarie rallies. And I don't remember the rule being excepted that the current rally committee or for that matter any rally committee has the right to amend the judging guide lines with out the change going to the delegates meeting and being voted on.

I also recall that Brian researched through all of the past delegates minutes and compiled a list of all the current guidelines and a copy given to all reps to hand back to there respective clubs.

If forum members don't know what category their car should be in ask your club delegate as he /she should have all the answers [img] Eye Rolls Very Happy [/img]

regards as always Grumpy

Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as this topic bothers me, it seems hard to leave it alone after being so involved with it some years back.

No, clubs cannot just change the rules, it needs to go through the delegates meeting. Any club that has changed outside the results of the delegates meeting needs a slap on the wrists - bad bad little boys and girls, go sit in the corner.

Anyway, for those only interested in display, seeing the people and cars etc, the categories and rules shouldn't mean a thing, as they don't apply to you, so don't worry about it, get to the rally and enjoy.

For those who care about the trophies, want their car judged etc, well go for it. Just remember you can't always win and there will be some one who has more time, money or whatever it takes to make their car a bit better than yours. The judging is subjective and by no means perfect, then again neither is a Morris minor, otherwise they'd still be making them and no one would modify them. After all, aren't we all just jealous that we don't have the same amount of time and money that the trailer queens do! I've spent big on my Morry this year, I got a new battery for it!

After all, if you want it to be laid back and relaxed, make it that way! It's your rally and you can make it as stress free or as stressful as you want it to be. In the end, don't blame the organisers if you can't enjoy yourself, they do a shitload of work to set these things up, many many hours, week after week, month after month, believe me, I know. So unless your willing to run one yourself shut up and give them all the praise they deserve, regardless.

Quote:
I think I'll go down on the Saturday to catch up with old friends but I certainly won't be looking at the trailer queens.

Would be good to see you there scouse, was wondering why I hadn't seen you at the last few.

frosty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: All is not well Reply with quote

Shocked

John, what happened to your question that was posted on the other side?

John Ballard wrote:
I presume these ""guidelines" means the interpretations of the rules to be used by Judges and scrutineers as only rally delegates at a delegates meeting can change rules.
Thanks

Were you given an answer by the spokesman?

It appears to have been deleted Shocked

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question I looked today and all the posts were gone. Red Sedan Shocked

jelly bean
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:
Good question I looked today and all the posts were gone. Red Sedan Shocked

thats strange as there was about 20 post worth Shocked

Had another look - there is lots been deleted so not much info now.

jelly bean
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My car was never pretty enough to win anything but at least it was roadworthy and fully engineered, at least one prize winner's car , by his own admission, was not. He had replaced the skinny wheels used to pass engineering with wider ones which would not have passed, therefore did not qualify to enter the event.

by driving around on wheels not passed then it is not legal/engineered. Heaven help the other cars in a crash as there would be insurance complications.

libbor wrote:
Hi all

On with the continuing saga with the engineering of Cecil.

Its now ready for engineering. All i need to do now is fit some thinner/legal wheels.

My engineer is going to write up the report early next week then all that is needed is an appointment with road user services which also need to inspect the car.
Fingers crossed.

libbor wrote:
Well, I eventually got it done, Cecil is now engineered. The certificate was issued today. The inspection with Road User Services is on Tuesday at 9am. It should only be a formality. So I will have to leave the 'rego kit ' on until then. The brake test was interesting. 6 full on stops from 100 klms to nothing straight after each other with 3.5" wheels. I could smell the brakes after the second stop. You can just imagine what they smelt like after the 6th.

So, front track ended up 1305mm, 21mm over standard and within limits and the rear track 1285, 7mm over standard and within specs.

To the person that notified the powers that be that I was driving an illegally registered car,

Quote:
Congratulations Darren one step to go.
Good to hear it is finally done, I hope you did not have to change much.

libbor wrote:
It was quite straight forward really. I just fitted lowlight wheels and 145/80/14 Bridgestone tyres.

libbor wrote:
Went in for the inspection this morning. The inspection to inspect the car and workmanship, inspect the engineering report for accuracy and to update registration records. All up took about 30 minutes. Stood next to the car while 3 of them crawled over it. The main thing they were concerned about was that rear passengers could reach the front seat reclining lever, unbelievable

One of the inspectors said to me, all this work you have done, upgrading the engine and your still running with standard wheels? I said "yeah, shame isnt it". If only he knew the bulls**t ive been though

ANOTHER brake test was done. All passed.

Then the magic stamp PASS

Into the main building to get the records updated.

Engineering report cost - $770.00
RUS inspection cost - $55.70

mollythemoggie wrote:
congratulations Darren! can't wait to see it in the flesh!

what size tyres did you end up having to put on the car?

libbor wrote:
Hi Tom

145/80/14 on old english white coloured lowlight rims.

libbor wrote:

They were off my traveller

I will never use them again hopefully, Maybe only if/when I go through the same s**t with the woody

jelly bean
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even more deleted now

only 3 topics and 7 post

blacky
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ almighty , for a bunch of blokes talking about old cars you really are a pack of bitches Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls I am a member on quite a few different forums as i have several cars but the Morry mob are far and away the most petty pack of whingers of the lot . If the primary reason you sooks attend rallys is to gather trophys you are missing the point Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls Eye Rolls

Jason Chadwick
troll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onya blacky tell it how it is mate . This is a freaking joke I've all ready had my say on this festering cesspool mdu forum . I call on any one with any balls to voice there opinion . I,m the same I,m on other car forum sites , & had a long association with show/ fast / cars & ive never seen such a pack of bitches . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » National Rally - Moss Vale NSW 2013 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: