Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Monk's cars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Monk's cars Reply with quote

Okay, I've been pestered again. Yes, I do have two MMs. One is the project car and the other ... well it's become a bit of a project too.

Blackie I bought from a club member who was rationalising his fleet. He was a going concern, after a fashion, 948 cc motor but original gearbox, fragments thereof, no first and reverse. Having a 1000 gearbox from the project car made him a gift. Thanks to Peter Claydon, CRMMC's walking MM manual, the swap was made, countless other minor faults repaired, suspension etc and he was transferred to club plates. More recently, the project car has donated a rear axle in search of an even quieter ride.

The profile reads: he ain't pretty and he wasn't and at the moment I've been preparing him for some beauty therapy. See pics. Striving for top coat tomorrow then he'll be a good 12 ft car. It's a bit of a rush job the reason for the deadline will be obvious as the story unfolds.

The primer was the first time I had held a spray gun in anger, tomorrow will be the second. Stand by for sagging!

Here are some pics:

Monk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the project car. Bought from a Darwin colleague who had it as her daily driver, transported to Alice Springs and a semi-daily drive for a while, moved to Darwin where it became a driveway ornament under the house for six years, slowly growing rust, then to Canberra where the dry climate slowed the rust. Despite years of neglect, the motor did fire after changing the stale fuel for fresh, but then had my arm twisted, not much anyway, and decided to put a 4K motor and gearbox in. A friend sourced a donor, then a posse of club members worked one Saturday to make the motor and gearbox fit. I made the tea and provided the lunch! The support and advice I've had from various members in the club has been great!

Since then I've been working away on and off at the rust. It was to be ready for Brisbane, then Port and now won't make Southern Highlands. It will have Toyota running gear to match the engine, nothing therefore at all startling in terms of doing new and bold things, but a nice runabout. I take my hat off to people who have the time, vision, energy and skills to put Mazdas and other exotics into MMs.

This one, the white car, also known as the Ngunnawal project, also has a history of dodgey paint jobs. Putting it on its side with a light behind it the floor looked like the Milky Way on a clear night so I had a go at forming some recessed panels for the floor, it was interesting but probably about to the standard of those Sri Lankan panels being flogged around the place, you can see every 20c blow of the hammer!

Here are some pics . Been a bit shy about posting. I have some others from rust repairs around the rear wheel arch I did at Christmas when I work out why my phone keeps freezing my computer when I plug it in...bloody technology!

frosty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Monk

You have obviously been practicing welding ... no duck poo there !

PS ... phones go ring, ring .... cameras go click , click.
... 2 different implements Shocked
as they say ... right tool for the job

Monk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to the top coat. Second outing with a spray gun. Got a good number of coats on, a little indifferent about the monochrome zebra look on the roof but, surprisingly, fewer sags than elephant man. I'll get stuck into the roof and the sags with some 1000 grit wet and dry this weekend and almost no-one should ever know.

Blackie is now an ivory colour, but he'll still be Blackie at heart!

Leaving the bonnet cracked open a little meant the cowl over the grille also got the ivory colour thanks to a little overspray. I guess if I start losing sleep over the spatter of white on the radiator I can mask it off and use a black rattle can!

It would have been good to have stripped things back a bit more to do this, but this was being done to a bit of a tight timeline, the intention is to improve the appearance in the short term because he has a date on Monday week.

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good David

Regards
Kel

Monk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive comments, it's all good fun. After all, why pay someone to do something when you can stuff it up yourself (when you have the time!).

Monk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Blackie comes back from art class Reply with quote

Looks like Blackie got more paint on himself than he did painting!

I hope this doesn't upset too many purists - since Blackie looked so dowdy, one of the club members suggested I hand him over to the budding artists at the local high school for some design work, hence the tight time frame and dark and dirty preps.

The only instructions on handover were: something in context with era and Britishness, and no hippy flowers! And this is what they gave me back last Saturday morning.

It's brushed on in auto acrylic. I did give them primary colours plus black and white, the blue and yellow cans have been left untouched.

They did a great job under trying circumstances, Blackie was parked outside so the rain washed off some of their preliminary sketches, but they stuck to it in spite of this. All credit to Gold Creek School in the ACT and their year 10 artists! And yes, it was part of their art program!

Also a pic of the Canberra club line up at Marques in the Park, thanks Bruce, another great day out, and a good roll up for a small club!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: