Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Ignition warning light "53 model HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Split Screen
overdrive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Ignition warning light "53 model HELP Reply with quote

Hi All

Has anybody fitted a new Ignition warning light to a 1953 series2. I got a brand new one from the uk but cannot get it to work. There is no problem with the wiring as it is a brand new loom. I have one yellow wire and one white wire and as I was not sure which terminal on the warning light they connected to I tried them both ways but it still does not work. The white wire comes across from the ignition switch and tests live.The yellow wire is one of only two on the car and the other one goes to the alternator. I have tested the bulb separately and its ok but I cant get a reaction from the tester when I put it in the bulb holder part of the warning light and this seems to me like a faulty unit. Before I contact ESM I thought I'd ask for any thoughts or advise first from this forum. Below is a pic of the unit and I would appreciate if someone knows if the white wire goes to the terminal in the pic or to the central one that is hidden in the pic.

Thanks
Jim

Split Screen
overdrive

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further testing shows there IS power at the bulb holder but still the bulb does not light up, also I now believe the two wires go together but still there is no light, its almost like it needs earthing??

frosty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it needs to be earthed

~~ PS .... does it have a bulb in .....

Split Screen
overdrive

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry said that wrong what I meant was its almost like its not earthed.

The Toss
overdrive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all stick 12V on it to make sure the globe is working. The normal connection for an ign light is between 12V from the ign switch when it is on and the field winding of the alternator. the lamp gets its earth via the field winding and regulator. When the engine is running the field winding is at the same potential as the ign power. ie the same voltage on both sides of the lamp so no glow.

Split Screen
overdrive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toss

Yep already done all that and as I said the bulb works the and power from the ignition is reaching the light unit but still it doesn't light up. My understanding is that the yellow wire goes to the alternator and acts as an earth until the engine starts. I'm now starting to think there maybe a problem with the alternator but what I really want to know is do the yellow and white wires both go on the same terminal at the warning light, although I've tried every different combination and nothing works.

Cheers
Jim

The Toss
overdrive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they don't. Like I said one side gets 12V from the ign switch , the other side gets earth from the alternator ( via the regulator and field winding )
When the engine is running this earth disappears & is replaced by the voltage from the stator which will be the same voltage as the ign voltage assuming everything is working ok. Hence no voltage difference across the globe so no glow.
If you have 12v from the ign on one side of the globe then you must be missing the earth via the field winding & regulator. I'll have a go at posting a schematic when I get time.

Split Screen
overdrive

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the alternator tested today and its faulty Mad so that answers the question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: