Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Nancy's "Black Beauty" 1953 2 door saloon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, I am always interested in what others ideas/thoughts are & although the subject of brakes lines seems divided I am still looking forward to that first day when I can officially drive her. Best regards Nancy

blakeand1
I can steer now

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi Nancy,
You are almost there now and she is looking great . Well done .
I look forward to meeting you on the road one day .

Blake

Boeing Bob
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I must make a comment here on earlier references to the legality of copper brake lines. I have just spent 4 months going through the process of making my van 100% legal by having it fullly engineered - quite a lengthy and expensve excercise but well worth it. I received my new updated registration certificate from the RMS to-day.

When I started late last year, there was a lot of talk about copper lines. As my van is fitted with a full copper kit from ESM, I was concerned about later repercussions, so rang the NSW RTA (as it was then) Technical Assistance section and questioned them on the legality of copper lines. I was told that while they don't strictly conform to Australian Standards, they are not illegal, however their use is discouraged. If you choose to fit copper brake lines, you are quite entitled to do so provided they are run free of any moving parts and are adequately constrained so that they don't rub against any body or mechanical parts.

When my engineer carried out his first inspectiion, he commented that the copper lines were illegal, I told him exactly what I had been told by the RTA. His only comment from there was to say "well I don't like them" and that was the last comment made except for him to say that I had them well supported and protected. Consequently, they are still on the van with a brand new Compliance Certificate and will stay there until the law changes or they fail.

Footnote :- The Engineer rejected the braided front disc brake hoses which came with the imported kit from ESM as it was not known if the conformed with Australian Standards and I had to get new flexible hoses made locally.

Boeing Bob.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
Very well explained. I think that covers it . However I do not understand why people buy the copper pipes from UK when it is so cheap to have steel ones made here.
I bought new ones to set up my power brakes and a new line to the rear when I fitted the dual master cylinder all up was less than $40.
Red Sedan Blue Sedan Yellow Sedan Yellow Ute

Boeing Bob
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:
Hi Bob
Very well explained. I think that covers it . However I do not understand why people buy the copper pipes from UK when it is so cheap to have steel ones made here.
I bought new ones to set up my power brakes and a new line to the rear when I fitted the dual master cylinder all up was less than $40.
Red Sedan Blue Sedan Yellow Sedan Yellow Ute

Hi John,

To be quite honest, at the time it was both a matter of convenience and peace of mind. I was in the middle of my 9 year re-build and was ordering a whack of parts from ESM and simply ordered the brake lines as my originals were of unknown quality internally and back in 1960 when I had my first Morry, a 1956 Convertible, the line to the back brakes corroded through and I had a total brake failure in traffic - thank god for a reasonable hand brake. Having this incident swayed me towards the copper replacements.

Boeing Bob.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hello all

It has been a while since my last posting. Currently working on getting BB underway again with getting all the suspensions rubbers replaced and putting in the donor 1000 front brakes. Drivers side is in except still have the new brakes hoses etc to put in. Hoping to get into more this weekend (subject to hubby's availability of course Eye Rolls )

Have the old diff and old front brakes if anyone is interested (free), pick up North Ipswich Qld.

Best regards
Nancy

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Finally got around to doing some more work on BB, installed the indicators front and rear. Nice little bullet indicators. Only cosmetic at this stage, not wired up as yet.

frosty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got BB on all 4 wide wheels over the weekend and was able to get her out of the garage for a good wash. Pity she has to go back up on stands to finish brakes etc. Had some dealer floor sheets from daily drive service, thought would look alright in BB.

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looks great! Top effort on the restoration.

I am looking into getting some of those bullet indicators and fitting them up to the morrie just so the indicators are more visible.

Cheers,
Jason

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

BB had its first road run this morning although without brakes or indicators but she does look good. Just click on the photo to play, there is sound with the video but you will need your speakers up on high.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally some more progress on BB. Have new front brake shoes and the old cylinders reconditioned. They look terrific. I highly recommend Bailey's Brakes in Ipswich. Dropped off my dud ones on Monday afternoon, the new ones ready to collect Wednesday. Awesome service, special thanks to Roz at Bailey's.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

You may have seen my other post under engine transplants. I did a couple laps of the car park with the old 803cc which was my first real drive of BB. Gotta say, loved it. So today we removed the old 803cc motor and gearbox ready for a Datsun 1200 motor & gearbox to be put in. BB is off to mechanics tomorrow.

Arrived at Greg's shed. Approx 9.00am

All unbolt and ready to pull out

Motor & box out

Ready for the mechanics

Finished approx 12.15pm. (more pics at http://s1008.photobucket.com/user/BlackBeauty1953/library/)

Will keep adding to this post as things progress.

Hope everyone is still enjoying their own projects, me I can't wait almost there.

Best regards
Nancy

Binda Blues
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: B.B. update Reply with quote

Hi Nancy
Any updates on Black Beauty?
Regards
Tony

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

As some of you may or may not be aware, I have recently sold Black Beauty and she has ironically now returned to Rockhampton where she was originally imported to.

Unfortunately a bad experience with the local mechanic chosen to do the Datsun conversion left me disappointed and disheartened, and no longer interested in completing the project. After having the car for 5 months I retrieved Black Beauty from the local mechanic and spent the next 2 months trying to find someone to assist with the conversion. As I couldn't find the right/capable person to do the conversion I took the decision to sell Black Beauty.

I would however though like to especially thank the following people for their help, their guidance and their hands on assistance.

1. Greg, my husband who spent many many hours helping me with the resto.
2. Dave, Ipswich Club member who spent an afternoon straight from work to help us put in the split screen in (not an easy task).
3. Neil, Ipswich Club member for freely offering to come to our home and give his advice and knowledge about Morris Minors.
4. Everyone on this forum, thanks for the encouragement, advice and guidance provided over the past almost 4 years.

Although I am disappointed with myself that I was unable to complete Black Beauty, I have learnt a lot and know I gave it all I could.

I wish everyone safe travels and enjoy the rides in your Morris Minors.

Best regards
Nancy

redback
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Convertible Red Convertible Nancy we would like to wish you well in what ever adventure you may decide for the future
Regards Heather and Les

Binda Blues
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nancy,
Greg and yourself should be very proud of all the fantastic work you put into B.B.
I have always found the posts you have offered inspirational. Reading them has often given me the motivation to get back into the morrie shed. I am sure you both have many more projects to conquer.
Thanks again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: