Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Ignition light always on; bad regulator?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgminor
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Ignition light always on; bad regulator? Reply with quote

I suspect the regulator on my 1959 Minor is bad and am thinking of buying a new one.

I replaced the regulator a few years ago and never did get the car to charge nor the ignition light to go out, so I have not driven the car since.

I replaced the generator at the same time a few years ago. I read 15.5 volts when I jump the D & F terminals on the generator. I also have the same voltage at the D & F leads to the regulator.

Once I test the voltage at the generator after connecting leads A & A1 on the regulator, I read 2.45 volts. The adjusting screw on the regulator has no effect on voltage.

Should I just get a new regulator or is there sonething else I can try?

Thanks in advance,
MGminor

A

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regulator is a set of points, I'd give the whole lot a clean first, clean all terminals and the points

mgminor
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Grant. I cleaned the regulator points with fine sandpaper (400) & now I have 15 volts at the generator and the battery is charging. The ignition light goes out.

Thanks again,
MGminor

Boeing Bob
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that when you clean the points with abrasive paper, you effectively widen the point gap which will set the output of the generator to a higher value. The problem here being that you could overcharge the battery and effectively shorten its life by overheating it and boiling out acid into your engine bay.

You obviously know how to check the output of your generator so set it up correctly. Put a piece of paper between the cut-out points to prevent them closing when the generator has output and adjust the regulator points to give an output of 16.7 volts on open circuit. Remove the piece of paper and then recheck the generator output under load. It shouldn't be any higher than about 14.6 volts with a fully charged battery.

Bob.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: