Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Little Blue's Big Makeover
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspiring stuff looking at some one willing to repair!

I note in one photo that your bottom door hinge threaded plate is not there, make sure you put in new guides for this so it doesn't fall out. Nothing worse than having to cut open your door pillar to get the plate out.

All looks good repairable stuff. The bit behind the holed panel is best fixed from underneath.

Great advantage of steel - if you cut it wrong you can weld it up and do it again!

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we stripped her interior. Seats and carpets out. Pulled off the other door and the kick plate. The driver's side was much worse. Lots of holes. We are thinking we may have to build/hire a rotisserie to get to it properly, as there are too many fiddly bits. It'd just be easier to get to it and do it properly.

Tomorrow we are going to clean out the shed and put her in there. I don't like having her sitting in the open, even though she's sheltered by the house and tarped.

I got the 'One In a Million' book from the Morris Garages the other day... absolute gem of a book! So very helpful and inspiring. I highly recommend it.

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

frosty

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get 'em Anna !

Have a read through these 2 threads on a saloon and a Traveller from the UK. Both of them started off in a much worse condition than yours.

Quite a few pages to get through on both, but very informative.

http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2912

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna
It is great to see what both you and your dad are doing. Well done and keep going with it.

You will have a great car at the end. Plus you can be proud that you did it with your dads help.

Great stuff
Kel

brundahted
4th gear

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frosty, thanks for that link to the UK site.We are so lucky that we don't have to carry quite so much iron oxide around in our vehicles as they do.That resto was a big job by any standard. Yellow Ute

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Frosty... I actually have that one bookmarked for inspiration... he did an incredible job!

Kel, it's no fun to pay people to do things! Why not learn new skills and achieve something! Very Happy

It's so great that our cars don't have the same shocking rust that the UK ones do.

brundahted
4th gear

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna, it is fantastic seeing what you are doing.I love your little blue 2 door, probably biased as I have a 4 door the same colour that I've owned for 40+ years. I am r Blue Ute estoring a 55 ute at the moment and am having to learn a great deal as I have to replace inner and outer sills and floor.I appreciate what you are tackling as I am learning as I go along as well. All the best with your project.

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it an original colour? I have seen a few the same colour, and was told it's panama/panamuna blue, but when I had that code mixed up it was a dull greyish blue... then the guys at the paint shop said there was no way there would be an original colour so bright and colourful. I was told by a club member that it is an original Aussie colour. I would love to see a pic. Very Happy

Good luck with your resto... do you have a thread about it?

brundahted
4th gear

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour is oz original Panamuna Blue a beautiful coloured coat. I don't have a thread but you might find it here[url]http://s1292.photobucket.com/Ted_Franks [/url]

** links not working

Let's hope this works.

Last edited by brundahted on Mon May 05, 2014 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
brundahted
4th gear

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna if the above doesn't work try this.......http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/Ted_Franks/media/100_4862_zpse2f81193.jpg.html

** links not working

TED ... you have to open the picture in your PBucket account and get the code for the particular photo and then copy and paste that code here.

cheers
frosty

Last edited by brundahted on Mon May 05, 2014 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
graham
At rest

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

Morrx is Panama Blue, not a colour I would have picked but when you see it on the car in the sun I think it suits the Minors very well.
Panama Blue was apparently only used in 1958.

Morrx in the winter sun at Casuarina Beach Darwin.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers
Graham
Very Happy Very Happy Blue Sedan Very Happy Very Happy

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am SO sure that's my colour!!! The guy who sold it to me said it was '74(?) LC Torana Sky Blue... but through all my research I haven't found any evidence of this. Would love to park them next to each other and compare.

brundahted
4th gear

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the posting info Frosty.

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled out the engine today! Big job when you don't have all the right tools... but we did it! Lucky it's not a big v8 or anything. Now to try and get the thing up onto a table.
Other than that, we have done more stripping and begun building the rotisserie. It's very slow moving at the moment with lots of work and TAFE homework, so we aren't getting a huge amount done each weekend. We can't do anything after work as it gets dark so early, and the light in the shed is pretty poor. The car is almost fully stripped down now... we can ALMOST start of the fixing/rebuilding. Just need some whitworth sockets to get those back guards off. I'm excited about stripping out the engine bay and painting it the same as the body colour. I will also paint the Nissan engine. We have decided to replace most of the wiring too, as it is a bit of a mess. So good having a handy Dad who knows his stuff!! Yellow Convertible

[/img]

[img]

What do we think of this?

[/img]

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just know Im going to get flamed for this but in worst case scenario you dont "really" need the whitworth tools for some of the jobs.Some of the imperial/metric are sooooo close that they will do little or no damage as long as the bolts are not too tight or seized,too tight,use the right tool,seized,no matter what you use your going to have problems,either rounding or shearing.Dont whinge at me,you know its the truth!

Monk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to jimmy_d give all the nuts and bolts you plan to undo NEXT weekend a spray of Inox last thing Sunday night, then give them another spray the night before and (fingers crossed) - BINGO!!

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, both of you! No flaming here... I appreciate it. Yellow Convertible

Did lots more today! Dad was working on the rotisserie all day and I was cleaning up the interior a bit. We made pretty good progress, I think.

[img]

[/img]

Here is the rotisserie, so far...

[img]

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the interior a vacuum and a bit of a scrub. Looks much better now. Next job is to clean out the shed so we have room to stack all the parts/panels. Very Happy

BEFORE...
[/img]

AND AFTER...
[img]

[img]

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the person who did the blue paint job didn't do a great job at all... they simply masked it (did an incredibly dodgy job of that... all the rubbers have paint on them!) and just sprayed it. The way the paint is chipping off I am not even sure if they prepped the surface properly first.
Anyway, this is inside the boot. There are piles of loose dirt, which have all just been painted over. The 2nd picture shows what was underneath when I pushed a screwdriver into it. I don't know why you wouldn't just clean it out, rather than paint over it?? I guess they figured it wouldn't be seen there.

[img]

[/img]

DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anna

It sure looks like you and your Dad are getting serious. Good on you!!

Re Whitworth spanners, sockets, etc. It is good to have at least a few of the sizes commonly used on the Minor. I bought some of mine on Ebay (used) but most of them came really cheap from my local bric-a-brac markets (used).

Some sockets and spanners you buy these days (new) are special designs that will do Whitworth, AF and Metric. That is because instead of putting pressure on the points of the nut and bolt heads, they are designed to apply pressure adjacent to the points. This is great because they have some tolerance to slightly different head sizes and they work well on heads that have had their points mangled (rounded off).

There is some overlap between the Whitworth and metric (and AF sizes), as pointed out earlier.

Cheers

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Whitworth spanners/ sockets, I buy from markets and swap meets etc, usually very cheap and I now keep a record of what I have in my wallet as I double bought a couple of times. I now have a full set of sockets and most ring spanners and I probably spent less than $40.
But as other have said most nuts can be fitted with other spanners.
I also use Inox.

LittleBlue
3rd gear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, it's now October and we haven't made a huge amount of progress. The rotisserie is now finished, and today we will try it out. Finished taking off the guards (which was tricky... nuts were tarred over so we had to chip them free before getting a spanner on there) It just needs the front/rear glass out.

We have a weekend of high 20's now so hopefully we'll get some done. I haven't driven my baby since March, and we have a looong way to go... I am going crazy!

Bill Littlehales
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleBlue wrote:
Hi everyone, it's now October and we haven't made a huge amount of progress. The rotisserie is now finished, and today we will try it out. Finished taking off the guards (which was tricky... nuts were tarred over so we had to chip them free before getting a spanner on there) It just needs the front/rear glass out.

We have a weekend of high 20's now so hopefully we'll get some done. I haven't driven my baby since March, and we have a looong way to go... I am going crazy!
Hi Anna go easy on your Dad as when I restored my daughters woody it was in much the same condition as you Little Blue
it,ll be worth it in the end
Bill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: