Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

1954 Morry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gav1954morry
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: 1954 Morry Reply with quote

Our new Morris..

http://oi65.tinypic.com/2ynj8dw.jpg

*mod edit ~ pic added

gav1954morry
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Mother inlaw.. Reply with quote

My mother inlaw loves our new Morry and is a mad keen photographer and wants me to leave the paint job as is so she can take photos of it around the city and in old back lane ways around Melbourne. She sent me some photos of old cars she has seen online and the photos look amazing.. So maybe I leave the body resto for now? Believe it or not the body is in pretty good shape.. There is a little bit of rust in the passanger side door hinge/mudguard area that need some love but otherwise in its in really good nick.

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your call on the paint but a car can only have its original paint once.

If you can live with it 'as is', it'd be nice to leave it that way for as long as possible. Please don't go the 'rat rod' route though...

gav1954morry
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's not the original paint. It was repainted I think in the original color many moons ago. Has been in storage for along time with a tarp covering it in a shed and I think condensation has got between the tarp and paint job?? Has had some cheap nasty moulded carpets fitted at some point too.. The seats and interior are all in good nick and possibly original but I'm no expert so not too sure about that?? I won't be going for the rat rod look so don't worry lol.

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need more pics Gav

Love the two tone paint job, bit like mine.

Mine has the original colour marked on the plate under the bonnet along with the chassis number and engine number.

What are your plans for her? Stock Morry or fire breathing hot Mog?

gav1954morry
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plans are to keep it stock and as original as possible. It's does have the color name but what I meant is I am not sure if it is still the original color from the re spray?? More photos will follow.. I went to the Vic Morris minor club meeting last night and I'm now a member. The plan is to get club reg once the Morry is ready for the road. I am in the process of painting the exterior of our house so that is priority at the moment. Good inspiration to get the house done. I will order parts that are required so they are ready to fit.. Can't wait to get stuck into it...

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cor, he's getting sucked in already. Anyone like to take bets on him finishing painting the house?

gav1954morry
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Ha ha Reply with quote

Today I i have used up the first of two fifteen litre cans of paint on the exterior of the house. I have set my target to finish the house first then the Morry.. Very Happy plus I would be in the dog house if I go near the Morry before the house is done.. Happy wife happy life!

Scouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the house colour suitable for the car too? Very Happy

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
Is the house colour suitable for the car too? Very Happy

Are you sure gav's missus would approve of faded blue and rust brown for her house?

gav1954morry
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color is Harbour Grey. I have the photos of the previous paint job before it went into storage and was a really nice color. Very similar to color I'm painting the house. Maybe I'll just roll the Morry with the water based house paint?

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking little morrie Gav if your going to leave the body as is maybe put a coat of clear over it to keep it like that ? Don't you just love painting houses Yellow Convertible

gav1954morry
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate (1950convertable) your convertible looks pretty good too. A bit better than my old girl.. I won't be doing any work on mine for a while but maybe a clear coat will be a good idea to prevent any further deterioration??

gav1954morry
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morry update. Well today I got a RWC after a fair bit of welding, mechanical repairs and lots of time. I haven't touched the body and probably wont for quite awhile to come. I had a 28 day permit to get it road worthy with a lot of road testing. I haven't had any breakdowns but I do have gearbox selection problems. Sometimes I cant get third gear and then sometimes I can't get first? I found that sometimes I need to be a bit forceful. It seems worse when the car has been driving for a long period of time. otherwise I really happy with the way it drives. its a slow old thing on the hills but that's ok. Now I just need to get the club reg sorted out in the next week or so... Very Happy Blue Sedan

frosty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news that you are on the road at last Gav. Keep us updated.

Someone will probably have some thoughts on your gearbox .... I'm hopeless with them Embarassed

gav1954morry
I've got trainer wheels

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Club reg Reply with quote

So I have got the Morry on club reg finally. I have now done about 350 miles and haven't had any major issues. I have also worked out how drive the gear box without it giving me grief. I have found one more slight problem, when I drive at night the generator doesn't seem to be able to charge the battery with the lights on. It does charge without them on but needs to be looked at at some point in time? Luckily I had the trusty crank handle with me so I could just restart the car using that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: