Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Datsun conversion / - earth conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Datsun conversion / - earth conversion Reply with quote

Hi Just wondering if some one can clear up the + earth conversion.
I am about to bolt in the dato engine & i am not sure what i need to do with the power.
Should of i reversed the + earth before i removed the engine or can i just wire up the dato engine as a negative earth.
I would greatly appricate it if some one could write a quick guide for me to follow. Many thanks Ant

Scouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wire it all up as -ve earth & you'll have no problems.

Are there any accessories inside the car (ie: radio) that are +ve earth ?
If so, you'll need to isolate or replace these first.

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Scott said just change the batt leads to neg earth, but because the morrie earth lead goes to the battery tray not the engine you have to make sure you run a heavy earth strap from the body to the engine, other wise you will cook either the excelerator or starter cable when you start it up.
I cooked a new excelerator cable, a mates morrie heated up the starter pull cable under the dash untill it melted off & fell onto his new carpet catching it on fire.
The morrie originally had this strap on the gearbox, I put it across the rubber engine mount from the block to the chassis, it has to be heavy enough to handle the load while cranking.
Trev
Aus
Oh & the neg of the coil goes to the dizzy & you will have to work out if your dato alternator is internaly or externaly regulated & wire that accordingly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: