Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

59 Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Hewitt
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject: 59 Project Reply with quote

Hi
I've been toiling away at our new Morris for a few months now and decided I should try and document the progress on the forum as I go. We bought our current two door as a rolling shell supposedly with rust repairs completed and fitted with Datsun Sunny rear axle and front Torana discs along with a trailer load of all the extras plus some. Had some reservations about some of the bodywork rust repairs but wasn't till I got it home and started pulling things apart that I realised the repairs weren't really ideal... No excuses really as we've owned two previous Morris's and are well aware of the usual trouble spots!
The intention is to fix all the body work and repower with an A12 Datsun driveline. Usual extras like dual circuit brakes etc in keeping with the rules will obviously be a given. Still have to get some sort of relationship going with one of our local certifying engineers to make sure I'm heading in the right direction but need to be sure we do that with someone sympathetic to our cause as well.
Haven't decided on colours etc yet as that is still quite a ways off! Anyway following pics show where we have been and where we're up to.

The new project at home ready to go

After cutting the floor and inner sill away all was revealed! A lot of other previous repairs similar to this plate straight over the top

Most of the floor and sill cut out

Layer upon layer, seems same method of repair over the years.

To cut a long story short, finished with the RHS and much happier with the results. Planning to add front wing lower mounting when I get to offering it up. Getting the hang of .6mm mig wire and as per usual the grinder is my friend. My phone is getting used to calling Minor parts supplier as I'm becoming familliar with "but wait there's more"

Not messing about this time on the left side. Saves cutting discs. Took as many measurement as I could before chopping out the rear axle front spring mount and was wary about if it ended up pack in the same place.

Front underneath edge of rear inner guard Still ended up with surprises, amazing what some bog and under body goop will cover!

Why the front spring mount area needed some love. Underbody over bog over plate repair.

Starting to put the fresh metal back in.

Front pillar lower end filling in the missing bits, just like a jigsaw.

It would be easier to buy the repair panels but not as much fun. Same as RHS will be welding in threaded bosses for lower mounting points for front guard.

Finally something other than welding trial fitting of the eng/trans. Knew I had to remove bellhousing material but after several goes found out "this much" Will be filling this hole with some perforated sheet. Honestly can't see anyone reaching in there while the engine is running but you never know!
Just got to fabricate the mounts now to suit the Datsun rubbers. Unsure of exact engine height but looks good except maybe need to look into shorter engine oil filter than the Ryco Z145A. I've removed material from the chassis leg in this area but thought the filter is still a bit close. Don't worry about the mess of bellhousing swarf about the place this engine isn't the final product going in...

My take on some front engine mounts. Still need to incorporate some brace/gusset for the upper brackets and drill the lower brackets for final position through chassis rails. Lower brackets are to move in toward engine (just pushed out at the moment with weight of engine) Didn't get the upper brackets when I bought the engine so think these will do when finished with the gusset. Got to keep telling myself it's not a D11 so doesn't need to handle a thousand HP.
Quote:

https://i.ibb.co/kG79CgS/20240319-160527-002.jpg[/img]
https://i.ibb.co/ZBsTQ5V/20240319-184547-002.jpg[/img]
https://i.ibb.co/rvkBXjk/20240319-160732-002.jpg[/img]
Front mounts done when I make some washers instead of 8mm nuts. Enough room at front for a belt change only. Next job rear mount.

Last edited by Bruce Hewitt on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Bruce

Which engineer, will you use to certify the modifications ?

Kel

Bruce Hewitt
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was hoping to use Athol Mullins if I can get him to reply to an email. No rush. Any suggestions?

Bruce Hewitt
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be going to Kurri Nostalgia day end of this month, keen to see if there are any Morries there and even better if there might be a Datsun conversion.

frosty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,
some tidy work there Bruce

The year of your car is 1959 according to your ID plate, so you were close!

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Hewitt wrote:
Will be going to Kurri Nostalgia day end of this month, keen to see if there are any Morries there and even better if there might be a Datsun conversion.

Kurri Nostalgia is a pretty decent show, subject to weather, of course

I've only seen 1-2 morries there over the years

Kel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: