Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

MorRX
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graham
At rest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

First Friday gathering tonight, when I arrived I could not resist parking next to the GT 40 and getting a picture.
All three cars were in production at the same time (early mid 60's), quite a difference in style and price today.
An original GT40 is worth millions, the Cortina 10,000 plus and the Minor 4 to 5 thousand.

Pictures taken at Fishermans Wharf, Darwin just on sunset 3rd October.

Cheers
Graham
Very Happy Very Happy Blue Sedan Very Happy Very Happy

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

First Friday last Friday, a pleasant night high 20's with a light breeze , an almost clear sky and a high tide.
A good turn up of a variety of cars, Morrx was the only Minor but two other rotaries turned up a nice RX2 coup and a FC RX7.

Morrx was parked between a rather nice 55 Coup Deville and an early Statesman.

As usual a good night.

Cheers
Graham

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

The first Friday of December yesterday so the monthly gathering of chrome bumper cars at Fishermans Wharf here in Darwin.

As usual a few different cars RX2 Mazda, Mustang, Morrx and a XW Falcon.

December in Darwin each year brings around the anniversary of Cyclone Tracie, this year it is 40 years since it hit on Christmas eve destroying 70% of the houses.
Hear are a few pictures I took, from our house in early January 1975, To give you some idea of the mess it left . My cousin was getting Married just after Christmas so the whole family was fortunately in Melbourne for Christmas.

I think this was my brothers room, the little wooden platform on the leaning wall held the water tank for the solar hot water system. The tank was on the other side of the wall, holding it up.

Next door, they had 3 kids under 6 but fortunately were on holidays as were quite a lot of Darwin.

The other side but unfortunately they were home, the father died , the mother was badly injured and the two girls survived in a wardrobe in the back yard.

Not sure if the people behind were home if so they survived. In the far distance you can just see the Water tower on Parra Drive, two suburbs away, nothing left standing to get in the way.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures I am surprised they have survived 40 years.

Cheers
Graham

Monk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What suburb were you living in then, Graham, Ludmilla or thereabouts?

I remember going to work as a cadet journo at The Advertiser in Adelaide that Christmas Day. It was eery in the newsroom, we knew something big had happened in Darwin, but weren't really sure of the scale of it even at 3 pm when we reported for work. None of the phones to the NT were working, I think we got one call to Katherine in the early evening and managed to get to the Paraway Hotel and speak to a family who had fled south.

A lot of people who became my colleagues when I moved to the NT in '82 went through it, and I worked with a bloke in Adelaide who swore he'd never go back to Darwin during cyclone season.

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

The pictures were taken in Tambling Terrace Wanguri, the house was only about 18 months old as were the houses around us. There was just undeveloped bush over the road, where the Tracy Village sports club is now.

Cheers
Graham

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

Six years ago, yesterday (28th Dec.), I started this project, that became "MORRX", by buying my second Minor ( the first was 40 odd years ago) on Ebay.
This seems a reasonable time to reflect on the journey so far.
This being the first time I had done anything like this, it could have been managed better and some things could have been done that were not done.
But the over all package has turned out as I had thought/hoped it would.
As I said at the beginning of this thread "MY vision of what a Minor should be in the 21st century".
The Rotary fits with less cutting than most of the modern motors being used and produces smooth progressive power from 0 to red line at 7000.
Forget about most of what you know about rotaries being noisy and thirsty, these are invariably older motors that have been hotted up and like all hotted up motors are not the easiest to live with.
I used a standard 6 port injected 13B which has 2 extra ports, to allow increased fuel flow at higher revs by opening at 3500 when the second set of injectors open. This is like an early form of variable valve timing except being a 2 stroke there are no valves.
This allows the engine to pull smoothly, with no cam affect, all the way to the red line at 7000 rpm.
Keeping the revs below 3500 keeps it on the primary injectors and allows around 30mpg even in traffic and the air con on. Evan so the car still has enough power to easily keep up with the traffic.
The main advantage of the extra power is felt on the open road when it is easy to maintain any chosen speed and especially when over taking is required. Mid range acceleration is quite good for any car let alone a Minor this means a lot less time on the wrong side of the road and a much easier and safer trip.

Over all I am very happy with my car, to me it looks good and is fun to drive, with the changes I made you have the choice of playing little old car or to hustle along at the speed limit, which ever mood takes you.

Cheers
Graham

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

First Friday gathering at Fishermans wharf tonight, very pleasant night no rain but a light wind to keep it pleasant, about 28 C temp.
A bit of variety just next to Morrx.
Hot Rod thing one side

With a just completed Valiant Panel Van on the other.

With a 360 V8

Cheers
Graham

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

Ten years ago today I finished at the NT Public Service, claiming my super two days later when I turned 55.
Having done thirty + years it was to my advantage, Super wise, to leave before I turned 55.
So I have been unemployed for ten years today.
It took another 3 years before I bought what was to become Morrx.

Cheers
Graham

tosh
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did the rx7 diff need much work to fit your morry

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

Before

After

It had to be shortened a bit but I now do not know how much and the new saddles for the Morry springs added after the RX7 suspension bits were removed.
From memory the disc brakes required a bit of thought to clear the leaf springs.

Cheers
Graham

tosh
Got the keys

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i just got that type of diff for my ute

Dutchy
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.....another nice Morry. I like what you've done. I'll be remembering that glovebox fix. From memory at least one of my hinges are busted as well so I'm going to have to solve that problem too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: