Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Generator To Alternator Regulator Wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Generator To Alternator Regulator Wiring Reply with quote

Hi All,
I've connected my small and large wire from the generator to the alternator and am now trying to rewire the regulator re the following instructions:

Quote:
DYNAMO CONTROL - BOX REMOVAL

Locate terminal E on the control box. Disconnect the single black wire as this wire isn't used.

Locate terminal F . Remove the brown/green wire.

Locate terminal D . Remove the brown/yellow or plain yellow wire, and connect it to the brown/green wire disconnected from terminal F in step 2 above.

Remove the remaining wires from terminals AL ; A and D , connect them all together.

Insulate the connection.

WHAT IM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH IS:

I have multiple black wires coming from terminal E

and terminal D has multiple wires

I was wondering:

1. What I should be doing with the multiple wires?
2. Is it a problem that the colours they suggested aren't the one's in my regulator?

Thanks,
tom

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

The thin wire from the F (Field) terminal and the thin wire from the D terminal (That one goes to the ignition light) are linked. This provides a charge indicator light for your alternator (the IND terminal). The E terminal is all the earths, these can be linked together. The F wire went to the generator field terminal.
The A and AL terminals are for the battery, these should be linked together as well.
I have just looked at mine (I have the Tony Buttigieg conversion kit) and I left the E terminals on the regulator and used some insulated plastic terminal block for a temporary link for the others. I will try and post a picture as well.
PM me with a mobile number if you want to talk through it

Hope this helps, Paul.

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly..
so the f (yellow green) joins to the thin d.. what happens to the thick wire on d?

alas on my alternator from tony i don't have an ind terminal but i have a W terminal im assuming is the same?

so for the al and a terminals just remove all sets of brown wires and join them together?

a picture would be fantastic thank you.. i was just a little thrown by the multiple d wires..

Thanks again,
Tom

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

On the back of the alternator, there is an aperture with 3 spade terminals in it, two large (about 10 mm) and one smaller (about 8 mm). The smaller one is the D terminal, this is the one the thin (generator field) wire should go to. The larger spade terminal is the one for the larger wire from the generator. The W terminal is not used. Also, dont forget to connect the heavy wire from the B bolt terminal (Tony should have marked this) to the battery side of the solenoid.
I will take and edit the pictures tomorrow night, posting them might take a bit longer (or I will email them to you)

Cheers, Paul

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
thanks again for your emails..

currently from the generator I have a ring terminal on the thick wire as came off the generator.. do i need to change this to a twin spade plug to go over the 2 large terminals or can i wire it on top of the B bolt terminal?
Regards,
Tom

mowog
I can steer now

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a bit puzzled. most alternators these days have internal regulator and in any case the morris one will most likely burn out with an alternator as they put out a lot more current
so why are you using the morry one?

Scouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mowog wrote:
i am a bit puzzled. most alternators these days have internal regulator and in any case the morris one will most likely burn out with an alternator as they put out a lot more current
so why are you using the morry one?
The Morry one is just left there & it's now just a junction box. It can be done away with altogether but it's easier to leave it in situ.

mollythemoggie
Full Licence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be using mine as a junction box for the earth and thick yellow wire from the D terminal

I'm pretty sure ill connect the wires that need to be connected via a terminal block like paul did i'll see when i have a look at the photos of what he did...

but the regulator looks good in place anyway.. even if i removed the internals and put the terminal block inside somehow..

verdoro75
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Where are the finished photos? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I know this is an old posting, but where did the "end result" photos go?

I am undergoing this today, and have done the changeover, but she won't fire up. Seems like the coil is dead. Am going to get a new one tomorrow. In the mean time, I'd like to know what is recommended for the wiring - leave on the reg or disconnect it altogether?

I have posted 2 photos in my Pictures - see Blackadder finished album.

Thanks,

Clive

** pics added Mod

Monk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I removed all the wires from the regulator, except for the E wire which is no longer needed, according to the instructions I followed. At the moment the regulator is still on the fire wall but I will probably take it off sometime in the future. If you leave it there it gives more of a look of authenticity, but that's all.

Paul M
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clive,

I will have a look in the dim dark recesses of my backups somewhere and see if I can find them. Dont hold your breath though......

Cheers, Paul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: