Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Centre Console

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Centre Console Reply with quote

Dear all
I’m looking at installing a better center console in my van than what is already there. I would be interested in what other people have got and the pros and cons of doing it.
I understand the heater must be accommodated for and that it would impair on your leg space.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is what I currently have

I like the look of what Boeing Bob has done in his van and I hope he doesn’t mind me re-posting his picture...

Kel

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G’day

The Laser steering column I got came out of the flash model which had a matching centre consol, so I got it as well.

Being the same colour as the steering column means it blends. I will have to cut it down a bit to fit under the air con/heater but apart from that it fits quit well.
The aim is to modify it to mount the heater controlls and the sterio.

Just my idea.

Cheers
Graham
Very Happy Blue Sedan Very Happy

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having no consol in the morrie (clean look) i often put my left foot up on the hump on trips Very Happy
plastic just doesnt look right in a morrie, vynal covered looks period JMO

Trev
Aus

Boeing Bob
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like having no consol in the morrie (clean look) i often put my left foot up on the hump on trips
plastic just doesnt look right in a morrie, vynal covered looks period JMO

Yellow Van The console does tend to restrict your movement so if you have long legs, it may be wise to leave it out, especially in a van or ute where you can't get the seat back. Luckily, I'm a short a---. Also bear in mind that you will have to move the dipper switch from the floor if you retain the original Morrie column, unless of course you have been gifted with a triple universal left ankle.

For info, my console is covered with the same leather that is used throughout the interior of the cab and van, so it looks somewhat modern but more importantly, consistent.

Boeing Bob[/quote]

Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev, you are right in that I do need space to move as I am tall. But I like the look of the center console. Give up some luxuries for a different kind of comfort.

Boeing Bob, my idea was to match the interior material and colours so to keep it consistent.

Graham, Mine will be purposely built, made of timber and then covered.

What about a half one… ??? One that follows the floor but doesn’t raise up to the dash ???

Thank you all for the input.

Kel

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Kel

My original idea was similar to yours, a purpose built unit out of wood. Then I came across the Laser unit and saw the possibilities, it is the about the right size fits neatly on the transmission tunnel, has the right curves and can be modified to do what I want.
It matches my steering column and fits with the cars blue interior but if it did not it could have been covered or painted to match the interior.
I am not very good with my hands so I figured I needed all the start I could get; we will see how it turns out.

Cheers
Graham
Very Happy Blue Sedan Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: