Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Nancy's "Black Beauty" 1953 2 door saloon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow-thats a shed load of work you Guys.

Two additionally loaded pics --give serious thought to the credibility of your project

One--- a seriously good looking but hairy front seat
and two- a couple of really dodgy kneecaps in the Garage doorway.

Keep up the fabulous work people-following you all the way.

It looks like this comment may be a little late but make sure your scraper has rounded edges on its main surface, otherwise the ensuing gouges will be the very Devil to fill and rub down before painting.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MinorMadMan,

Really happy with the progress so far. Next step get the panels safely here to Oz and get the front, rear and side windows out. In the meantime there are some minor bits and pieces that can be done.

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh soon all the dirty work will be done then you can slip into your designer white coveralls for the reassembly. i have my monogrammed set already ordered.

your doing a great job there. do you know what type and brand of paints your going to use yet?

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Silvertop,

I really have no idea about paints or undercoats as yet. I want to be sure to get the right type/brand so "Black Beauty" will be a Beauty again. All I do know is she will returned to her true colour Black. Also how do I find out which black she was? Or is it just Black the colour.

Any advice will be greatly received.

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a hard question to answer. if i was you i would ask as many morrie owners with the type of finnish your looking for. some like me love ultra high gloss. others love the traditional gloss. and still others like oem finnishes like modern cars.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy,

here are some colour codes. I think yours is simply BLK

http://www.minormania.com/feature.php?catid=-1&id=1994

rascar
Got the keys

Location: Brisbane, QLD Australia. Bingley, West Yorkshire UK.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy,

Black.

I'm a little curious as well, so hopefully, some one can shed some light onto this for our early model Black Australian Series MM's & II's.

In the mean time and I may not be 100% correct in what I am about to say, but when we were researching our MM's history in 1997/98, we could not find out much about the original colour Black, other than being told that it was Black and did not change from the colour Black throughout the production life of the morris minor, other than types of paint.

Since then, I guess a lot more research has happened and hopefully, some one may be able to shed a little light on the Black used on the Australian Morris Minor series MM & II high lights.

Mind you, I do like a well polished, shiny finish!

Cheers,
Darrell

Last edited by rascar on Sun May 16, 2010 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
sunalp2
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that a straight black will look different to a black with a clear coat over it.

You also need to keep in mind that Automotive paints have changed considerably over the years.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone above who have provided some guidance on the issue of paint colour Black for my Black Beauty.

As far as I was able to find out the paint code is BLK and I would like to paint with a standard type gloss not too high gloss. I have double checked on the website Libbor has provided and this also confirms BLK would be the code.

I'm hoping to achieve its original look if possible so basic black is what I will be looking for. I don't want anything fancy or too modern just black in keeping with originality.

What about the undercoat though? Any suggestions here, as far as I know there are different types depending on the final paint being used. So also need some advice/guidance here too.

If anyone can recommend a great automotive paint supplier would appreciate the details. Would prefer local Ipswich/Brisbane supplier, but will be happy to contact others further afield to get the right supplies.

Thanks again everyone, this forum is a great place for help especially for us beginners.

Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing to remember with paint is to go back to bare metal, use the same brand paint from etch, primer, High fill, top coat and clear (if needed).
I use Spartans brand paint and UPOL bog.

Onix black is probably the best quality and blackest black, spartan do a basic black which is cheaper but not the same quality.

If it is straight, I would cut the top coat back to smooth (no orange peal) and polish. Should look like a mirror.

All in acrylic

Bruce

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce,

Your reply is great and very helpful. It will certainly assist when it is time to get ready for prep and painting.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another week has gone by and my parts have left the UK and arrived Brisbane Customs yesterday midday. The parts were cleared for delivery yesterday afternoon so should be here early next week. I've been following the progress daily.

In the meantime I have gathered all the chrome work from Black Beauty that is worth salvaging and will commence the cleaning.

Here is a pic of the bits that i will be keeping and although they are not in pristine condition they are still great condition considering the age. So in keeping with my plans to keep her as original as possible these are the parts i will reuse. I'm using Silvo to clean them and it appears to work well, if anyone has any other suggestions i'm all ears of course.

Will post a post-clean pic when i have them all completed. It took me an hour and half to clean the 2 little front light trims + half a rear light surround last night, so it may be some time before there is an updated pic of the cleaned chrome bits.

sunalp2
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this, it will last you a lifetime, and it is non abrasive.

rascar
Got the keys

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy

Looks like you have salvaged quite a bit!

I couldn’t spot the boot emblem / flash, so before you go tossing the other bits, another alternative may be to strip them back to bare metal (not easy), polish them and have them re-chromed. (Useful if you can't get a replacement.)

If you go down this track, the platers can give you a pretty good indication of how to prepare the surface, but do make sure you haven't got many blemishes, pin holes, scratches etc as the new chrome will really show up any marks left on the bare metal really well.

I’ve only done this once with parts for a Toyota Celica 2TG Twin Cam rebuild in the late 80’s and unfortunately for me, learnt the hard way as some of the parts looked brilliant and others not so.. So prep for chroming is everything.

Cheers,
Darrell

Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the cost of getting something re chromed you can get new bits, mainly the bonnet hinges, Hockey sticks etc. the UK has the best prices at the moment.

Once pot metal has started to blister it is expensive to repair and get plated and some bits will still blister straight away. Most platers wont touch the stuff unless you are prepared to pay and except that there is no guarantee (you will still have to pay for the work which will need to be throw in the bin).

I use Autosul for polishing and micro cloths. To clean off stubborn grime use carbie cleaner (not on paint or plastic) it dissolves crud really quickly.

the clean bits do look nice sitting ready to go one when the time is right.

Bruce

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Popped down to our local Supercheap and picked up a tin of Brite Shine so will see how well it works. I didn't realise until i opened the can that it wasn't a wax type substance but more a cloth type. It will certainly be interesting to see the results. Will let you know how it turns out.

I was very fortunate to salvage as much as i have. The other bits that are too far gone to save i have kept but am more inclined to try and source good second hand replacements as best as i can instead of rechroming or purchasing new ones. Rechroming i thought would be expensive and although i can get new ones from the UK, i was thinking they would look out of place being so new and shiny compared to those i keep in as original condition. Anyway will be keeping an eye out for the few bits i do need to replace.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea agree with keeping as much original as possible-allowing for functionality-also seeing new stuff alongside older original just looks different and odd at times.
One thing I was not wholly aware of before I started looking around, some so called new parts are Defo not of the same quality, so take car when ordering.
From past "Projects" I agree with Bruce-all the cleaned things, just waiting to be fitted look great- but not quite as great as actually building them back into the car-that feeling and the overall finished look is a very special moment indeed.
Good Luck,following everything with interest.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about chrome plating sometimes cheaper to buy knew, but always check.
Just had two hockey sticks rechromed under sixty dollars including removing old plating. They really look good and a lot cheaper than $130 a pair. We have an old school plater here very slow but very good Yellow Sedan Blue Ute

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that's worth its weight in Gold John !

Pity there are not more around these days.

Regards
Cliff

Bushfire
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy Found a guy in Maleny that used to work for Lucas and has all sorts of spare parts. Mostly electrical stuff, we did see light lenses etc.
let me know if you want his number

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the Brite Shine, i can recommend it works great. The harder grime (years and years of it) is difficult to remove so i use a bit of silvo to loosen and then the Brite Shine works a treat. Fantastic finish and shine.

Thanks Bushfire for the lead, can you please send me a PM with the details?

Appreciate all the help this forum has provided so far. It is really great that there's so much help for novices like myself. I'd be literally lost without the advice and support found here.

Have a great week everyone!

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Excitement today as this box arrived ..... what's in it i hear you ask

Well this box has come all the way from the UK and in lightning speed thanks the team at ESM Spares. If you haven't bought from them yet i would recommend them for their quick service.

And now what was in the box.....the panels i need to replace the rust in Black Beauty.

Fantastic, ordered the right parts and received the right parts, thankfully. wasn't 100% sure at the time of ordering that i had the right parts but whew, they are.

All smiles at this end.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they're good arn't they. I ordered 2 new shocks on wednesday , they left Friday and I got them this morning at 10 am.

rascar
Got the keys

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is a great turn around time.

Thanks for sharing that info. It's good to know if I can't find it locally, there is a reliable option from the UK.

Cheers,
Darrell

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another weekend and there has been progress made on Black Beauty. As you know the new panels arrived and hubby has commenced the transformation. Here are pics of his efforts today and so heaps of thanks goes to him.

There are many more pics which you can view at the below address if you are interested.

http://s1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/BlackBeauty1953/

Hope everyone has had a productive weekend on their own restorations too. Have a great week ahead!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: