Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Nancy's "Black Beauty" 1953 2 door saloon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighty fine work there-good to see.

Also thanks for the Photobucket pics all good reference stuff for all of us on the same journey.

Following avidly-and envious -enormously

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With most of these older cars mainly rusting away ,or in the case of UK motoring-dissolving- all mainly in the same places- has anyone done any body panel mods to accommodate small inspection Waxoyl or anti rust injection small holes (with rubber bungs) to extend the life of future use ?

I was just reminded of that looking at the hard work just carried out and my similar work planned.

All this rot was from both in and outside seems like.

Years may be saved just by a little additional work and thought ?

Just thought I'd ask

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did the repairs to mine, i killed every bit of rust i could see. then cleaned the steel with acid. I then thoroughly washed the whole area with soap an water and then etch primed the bare steel and then sprayed rust proofer in all the places i could, especially in the sill section. I then drilled 12mm holes in the inner and outer sill sections at the front.

Its important to note that the hinge pillar and inner sill sections are separated by the boxing plate so a hole needs to be drilled either side of the plate to allow any water to escape.

I have also drilled extra holes along the sill to allow any water to get away.

The truth is I don't believe you will ever stop the rust forming. Its just a matter of keeping it under control.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Another successful Sunday arvo (and hasn't it been a beaut day in Qld), the following pics show the undersill front left that had the rust in previous pics now plated with the new piece received from EMS UK. Still needs tidying up including a drainage hole but this is where Black Beauty is currently at. Thanks to hubby for getting under her to carry out the work. Not the easiest of jobs i'm sure.

Rust piece out

Cut out area

New piece in

mowog
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason the left side rusts so much is that the radiator overflow hose drips straight down on to it. I put a few inches of plastic tube on and carry the water below the chassis. by the time it gets down there it is not too hot for the plastic and runs away quick anyway.
My father used to block all the drain holes in his Holden sills and doors and fill the sills from the top with old sump oil (drilled holes from the top). never had a rusty holden sill.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libbor, thanks for the explanation, I remember following your work and recording items to help reference later but cannot for the life of me see the holes that you mention.

I do agree it may never be possible to completely stop the rot in metal-especially on cars like these but as you say"delay the process sufficently to make it worth all the effort" Preparation is everything.

Missed a Documentary about Scotlands Forth Bridge is going to receive its last coat of anti-rust paint because of some sort of Polymer resin coating is being added or some such (sounds like someone is attempting to stop the rot on that iron masterpeice) I shall see if I can find out what its all about.

Nancy-hope youre treating your fella with some real tasty morsals 'cause of all this hard work he's putting in on Black Beaut-keep the pics coming

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Minormadman,

Yes hubby is well taken care of for all his hard work.

Hi Mowog,

Thanks for the tip for the radiator overflow hose.

Hi All,

Again we ventured back to the shed today, my aim was to remove the driver and passenger windows. What a job that is! How hard was it..... terribly hard. Bolts that don't budge or are hard to reach etc. While hubby worked on tidying up the patch work already done and commenced on another rust area, i attempted to remove the driver and passenger windows. Getting all the bolts and screws out was a major effort but i can tell you, with a bit of hubby muscle the drivers window and frame is out. Yippee!

This was the time to break for lunch. I didn't feel i achieved that much but was keen get started on the passenger window. Not so successful, there is still one bolt and one small screw that just won't budge. So after many times cursing to myself and a few bumps and bruises in the attempt to get the window completely unbolted, it was time to down tools at 3.00pm and head in for a cuppa.

This left me wondering if it is so difficult to get these parts out of the car how is it going to be getting them back into the car again? And how to avoid as many paint scratches as possible? It is mind boggling and a little daunting but determination will get us through.

So on the better side of today, following are the final clean up pics of the passenger under sill and inside top sill with a couple of pics from the drivers guard that had a small rust area.

Just one rust spot left in the passenger floor about a rulers length and unless we come across any more (although she is pretty much stripped completely and no other signs) that should be it.

Hope everyone is still enjoying their restores and i must say, don't give up it will be worth it in the end when you can look back and say "I restored that isn't it great!"

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the main reason my lh hinge pillar and sill rusted out was for a few reasons. On the LH side above where the wiper cable goes through the firewall there is a grommet which perishes and allows water to go down the a pillar. Above that where the firewall meets the flitch there was a massive gap that was not sealed which i guess was the main for the water ingress. The lh wiper hole in the scuttle was rusted so i guess water was getting in there too.

As far as the rails goes, The rh rail more than likely has had brake fluid spilt over the years which probably has protected it from rust.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Another great Ipswich day and a great afternoon spent in the garage. Finally was able to get the passenger window out, just shows you the right tool anything is possible. Also removed the door rubbers the ones that run along the bottom of the door, they actually slide along a metal rail except in Black Beauty's case they were old and hard, but with some elbow grease and laying underneath her, they came out.

So it was time dust her off and clean up the tools etc that had been thrown here, there and everywhere. Now the tools are nicely organised and Black Beauty has had a sweep out and dust off.

Next step drill a drain hole in new passenger sill, repair rust in passenger floor & also in the battery tray. All minor jobs and shouldn't take too long to complete. Then have to get the rear and front screens out plus the 2 rear side windows which are also sealed in. Already have a quote to do this and think it is reasonable at $250 which includes they will put them back in when i get the new rubbers.

Also have just got hold of a water pump that she was missing, so with luck and a new battery we may get her running next weekend. That I am excited about, we have had her turn over quite easily but to actually hear her run would be terrific.

Hope everyone has a great week.

silvertop
5th gear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks nancy my weeks are always great hope yours is a topper as well. progress is looking good. its always good to hear them run and i wish you all the best at firing her up for the first time.
cheers ian

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had a chance this weekend to get Black Beauty running but I did however get the parcel shelf/tray out and as you can see she is damaged. It seems like it was damp from something in the centre and has therefore rotten away. I guess leaky windscreen at some time or does anyone have any other suggestions for the cause?

Parcel shelf

On another note to show just how original Black Beauty is here is a pic of the tag still on the dipstick. You can't beat originality!

Original Neptune dipstick tag

The car came with a Neptune Motorist's Log Book hence i gather the Neptune tag on the dipstick. This log book details the original owners names, address and registration details of Black Beauty. Also shows the original costs for servicing etc in pounds, shillings & pence. A service in 1965 on a Morris Minor cost 1 pound 12 shillings and 6 pence and to fill with petrol in its day was 14 shillings and 11 pence. Gotta love the history!

Robbo
troll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They leak in through the wiper pivot, so when you put new rubbers under the wiper cover put a dab of windscreen sealant as well. Robbo

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Nancy.

it was probably leaking from the battery box area. You said you had rust repairs there so it was probably leaking water and any acid that was leaking from your battery.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robbo for the tip regarding the wiper pivot. Will certainly take your advice when installing new rubbers and apply some sealant in that area.

Thanks Libbor for your advice. Yes there are 2 small rust holes to repair in the battery tray which is on the list of things still to do.

Appreciate all the advice/tips/comments, it really does help.

minormadman
I can steer now

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep agree with both Robbo and Libbor-I had a pic of the underside of the dash and rusty marks shown by leaking wiper pivots-I shall try and find it.

Also occasionally additional leaks are found by not having a decent or even missing bonnet seal rubber or even battery tray rubbers-

I'd just slick seal everything and make sure its all oiled up or Waxoyld inside it all.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally an update....We've had quite a busy few weeks with other things and i have now this weekend been able to get down to the shed to spend some quality time with Black Beauty. So the update is all the sealed windows and windscreens are out. I was able to get them out myself with the help of a metal paint scraper and a stanley knife. The paint scraper loosen the rubber and the stanley knife actually cut away the rubber. Best part was no cracks, no smashes, no chips, all glass in tack and in one piece. Here are the latest shots of Black Beauty without any glass at all. Next stage....sanding her back.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally have my reco'd water pump, now to get Black Beauty running this weekend.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: "Black Beauty" original engine started-Listen to T Reply with quote

Here is a short recording with commentary of my original "Black Beauty" Morris Minor 1953 2 door saloon with original 803cc motor being started for the first time since owning her after she has been sitting for a while. Oil pressure gauge read just on 40 on first cold start. Nice to know the gauges still work as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EP-RLjnKfk

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a while between posts, but I can happily report now that finally I have bought the paint, undercoat, etc for Black Beauty.

So next big thing is to commence the preparation of her shell.

Will post pics and any interesting moments as this next phase of restoring Black Beauty begins.

Hope everyone is still having fun with their Morris, no matter what stage you are at !

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update, Black Beauty now has a new battery and new fuel filter, so much easier now to get her started. Next week I will be getting a quote to either reco the radiator or get another one.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Hello all fellow Morris Owners

Black Beauty has undergone some addtional work now. Half of her has be rubbed back and black primer applied. That was hard work the rubbing back, but ended up being a nice job. Thanks to hubby for applying the black primer. Here is a pic of how she looks today

Now just need to get the other side in the same condition.

Update on the radiator, turns out it will be cheaper to get one from the UK than to recondition the one I have here in Australia.

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Another update, here is the state of Black Beauty today. Hubby has undercoated the half side that was ready. Now she looks different...

She really is starting to take on a whole new look.

Next the passenger side.

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Nancy Very Happy

Good to see your car progressing well. It wont be long before you will driving it again.

Then you will be able to go car spotting in your Morrie

Libbor

Nancy
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Libbor,

I can't wait to get her on the road. Slowly but surely getting there, a slow job hopefully will result in a great finish. And I do love to car spot, just hope someone will spot me in Black Beauty when the time comes. LOL. How cool would that be to be spotted and posted by someone else.

oliver-morrisminor
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy well done to you and the Hubby.

Putting the first coat of paint on a Morrie is a big
turning point as the thing starts to look like it is all
coming together in one colour!

Keep up the GREAT WORK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: