Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

HELLO THERE...MEET MAURICE THE MORRIS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now for some more searching, on some LCV's we have found a second stamped body number behind the drivers seat on the riser between the floor and the cabin back.

Good luck

Bruce

tom 53van
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I made it to a second page...wooo.
Don, I just realisde I completly stole your user name and just inserted my name and 53 instead of 58! Im sorry.
I will check that area behind the driver in the morning. Its it possible that in all the horrible attempts at tinkering with this car over the years that somebody has changed a ute into a van? Can that even be done? Im now even more curious to find out more historical info about it now.

Kustombruce
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom the change from Ute to van or visa versa happens a lot, both of my LCV's were opposite to the tags.
The swap is easy just a few bolts to separate the cabin from the back section and a few holding down the back.

Bruce

Wigman27
4th gear

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Forum Very Happy I am also the owner of a panel van named "Maurice" the link to my rebuild is

http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5219

Its a fantastic project to restore a car, my Dad has been doing it for years and now helping me along. I have gone down the modified path but I am really trying to stick to the original outside with the convenience and Safety of modern features inside.

Just about everybody is so helpful on this forum, I couldn't have done what I have done without it.

Bruce (and Others),

While we are on the topic of identifying Vans could you possibly help me in identifying mine please? I have looked at a lot of websites but everything I have found, doesn't really make sense to the numbers on mine.

This is a copy of my compliance plate and the only other plate that was on the car you can just see in the top of this photo, its not legible at all.

Are you able to date it?

Thanks again Very Happy Yellow Van

Kustombruce
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WigMan27
most likely early 1961, and was based in the numbers it came from Lancaster motors, it is about 30 vehicles away from a Green Ute from Wollongong owned by a guy called Ribs, he was a train driver and the Ute had 4 spike dragways, it is/was a really nice Ute, if I remember it had yellow hose covers in the engine bay.

Bruce

Wigman27
4th gear

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

That's awesome, it a bit ironic actually I drive steam Locos (full size ones Very Happy ) as a hobby. Must be a good set of cars then!

Thanks again for the info Very Happy Yellow Convertible

tom 53van
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had the sense to snap a few pictures while working on the car with dad yesterday. Progress is being made but there is still a fair way to travel yet.

To give you an idea of how banged up the engine bay was, look at the difference between to two pannels

And underneath.

Passenger side is in much better shape than the drivers side. The bumper post thing (?) was extremely bent out of shape and has been removed and re fitted in a much better manner.

The old twisted pannel out and almost ready for the new fella to slot in. The wall of the inner guard still needs to be pushed back a fair way to accomodate the new section. This car must have seen its fair share of action and bad driving/ repairing in its past life

New engine mounts courtesy of Morris Minor World, with newly fabricated top mountings courtesy of dad.

Testing to see if the extractors fit while the engine was briefly back in place

A comparrison of the old beaten up grille and the pretty much brand new one we found at the richmond swap meet earlier this year.

More pics in the next few days.CHeers

libbor
Banned for bullying.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday Tom

I have replaced quite a few of these tie plates, flitch, inner wheel arches and rails and there are a few things you need to be careful of.

1. At the back of the tie plate there are two holes. These are alignment holes which need to lined up with a oval slot and hole in the bulkhead to tie plate panel (the one the exhaust goes through)

Also, its important that the radiator cowl panel is fitted when assembling the engine bay floor as this keeps the flitch in the correct position and gives you the correct angle to mount the tie plate.

There is a hole on the front of the tie plate which has to line up with the hole on the front of the rail.

Then it is a good idea to fit all engine mounting bolts through the tie plate which will keep everything perfectly lined up while you weld it all together.

Then all you need to do is align the bumper mounts which should be central in the hole in your grill with a spacing of 866mm.

do you still need that shocky?

cheers

Libbor

tom 53van
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice mate will keep that in mind for sure. Yes mate still keen pn that left shockie for sure.Cheers

tom 53van
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, had a reasonable day yesterday.We managed to get the wiper motor bracket welded in place and got the whole engine bay in primer finally.Hoorah! Paint should be in there by the weeks end, fingers crossed that is.

tom 53van
Thanks ~ nice to be here

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pics of this past weeks progress.

The person responsible for the initial low light conversion did a less than amazing job od cutting out the curve for the headlight clearence. Plus the bottom edge was pretty rotten and rusty, so a replacement was needed.

the new section spot welded in.

The now complete and much straighter engine bay ready for primer and paint.

Fresh paint is amazing ,it really makes you feel like the project has progressed. I was a little careless with the paint gun and oversprayed the hell out of our freshly painted steering rack.

Dad was not impressed by how low the sump actually sat, so he has taken about an inch out of the middle of it to allow for a bit more speed bump clearence. He also added these neat little gates to help hold the oil in the right place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: