Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Mazzy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant69

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a hot rod it has to be pre 48-50 I think, use a late model L300 or Suzuki Chassis if you wanna go v8, Suzuki do a 2.5l v6 in a full chassis, that would allow a 4 odd litre v8, but you will need all the adr that came with the vehicle, the datsun came with a 1600 in the configuration I am using, so much less hassle, I could even fit the supercharged version

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your ideas but I think that to gain hot rod rego the vehicle has to be pre 1948 and on a full chassis! This basically leaves the morry out in the cold because they are not pre 48 with chassis as the ute/van is the only one with a chassis and they came later.Anyhow,I am happy to be proved wrong and would be good if I was...

Kels kustom
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into it. Let you guys no the outcome . Thanks for the imput

Kustombruce
valued contributor

Location: Canberra, where they put creative spirit in the water

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kel
you wont get a Morris Minor on hot rod rego, full stop
spend some time reading VSB 14 it is the bible for modified vehicles.

If you want to build a hot rod build a pre 48 vehicle, if not you are stuck with the rules for post 48. A lot of Hot Rodders have fought for many years to protect hot rods which is why they have there own set of guidelines.

Good luck with your build and speak to an engineer before spending a lot of money and time on things you may not be able to use.

Bruce

Kels kustom
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys me again .
just knocked off work and now doing some research .
found out i cant get my morrie registered as a hotrod because its not built before 49 as you guys were telling me .
but i think ive found away around it .
icv.(individually constructed vehicle)
states the body is fitted to a sparate chassis resulting in the change of category from ma to mc or na .for example a holden commodore station wagon body fitted to a toyota landcruiser chassis and suspension.
or
the body being modified so that it no longer is recognisable as the original vehicle or production variant. for example a four door sedan cut into a 2 door ute.

i think this is my way around the regs . as my morrie .has a 3/4 inch roof chop and the rear window takin in too . flash with the back seat approx 4inchs
the rear guards are getting widened 3 inch .and solid welded to the body.
plans to put it on a mazda 1000 ute chassis witch i picked up on the weekend for a steel.

i have a vr statesman 5ltr v8 which my father left to me before he died .so i thought that would make the perfect doner for my little rod.

the intire floors coming out and channel the body to the chassis approx 50 /70 mm
hoping to use as much of the running gear from the commodore as possible ie .disc ,diff etc.

fire wall and tunnel intirely new, made out of 2ml sheet steel.as will be the new floor.

i no this is a big job .but i am up to it .really after something thats real diffrent from the rest.as it will be my buisness card on wheels.

its not easy finding clients these days that want to throw money at you to do jobs like this .so i'll do it for myself.

really want to show people what im capable of ..

past experence restored 16 cars from rusted out pieces of s..t
to very nice looking street car .one of which i just one a show and shine award for out at warwick for best 4 door aussie sedan .was a ve valiant
restored to full orginial.

ive also been airbrushing for approx 3 years and done quite alot of work around the place.

at the moment airbrushing a vy commodoree 6ltr thunder .with the theme off lightning and storms .
also soon to be showed.
will post up pics of past work and of morrie and its progress for all to see .thanks guys.

grant69

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find you are still limited by the chassis, you won't get a 5L engine approved, the largest would be a 4.0L. You would have to build your own chassis and get that engineered. I have already talked to my engineer about mazzy, it will still be classified by dept trans as a mazda 1000, actually it is blueplated as extra seats added and engine number change, hope this helps

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hall pass(shed pass) for this weekend, so after months of working long hours at work and coming home to do reno's, Jen has given me till christmas off house renos. I am set to swap out engines, ordered new mounts today. Hopefully I will remember to take lots of photos

grant69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today hasn't quite gone as planned, ripped out the 2t in a matter of minutes, trial fitted the 4age Red Convertible due to the crossmember on the mazda chassis I am having serious doubts the engine will fit height wise. I will try tomorrow without the sump and see if it will squeeze in. Since the engine I have runs an oil cooler I maybe able to run a "dry Sump" as it already pumps the oil out. I will also need to turn the intake manifold upside down or modify the bonnet, which might work as there is a big rust hole there at the moment. The other issue is I will have to relocate the alternator, but as I am no longer going power steer (the mazda runs recirculating ball) I can fit the alt there.

All in all the 2t is looking a better option, I wonder if I can adapt the fuel injection from the 4age to it

grant69

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok today I stripped all the ancillaries off the 4age and took off the sump, With minor mods the engine will fit. sump needs to be shortened 15mm, engines will need to be fabricated from scratch, a/c compressor will need new mounts made, as will pulleys to make the belts do their thing. The L/H engine mount is using one of the a/c studs to line up with the mazda crossmember and mounts. I spent all afternoon fabricating the l/h mount bracket only to realise I forgot to take into account the angle the mazda mounting plate is on. So I have a very flash bracket that is no good to me. At least I know how to now so it should be a fairly simple task. The r/h side has no bolt holes close to where the mazda mounting point is, so I will bolt a large flat plate to the engine and weld the bracket further down. The gearbox lines up perfectly with the mount. I have taken some photos which I will post when I have time

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So,been a long time,whats happenned to mazzy and did you ever sort out your new wiper design???

grant69

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the prototype has been made, it worked fairly well, but I am rejigging the design, back to formula as they say, as it was a little when I roughed in A/C and ecu and battery under dash. I will keep you posted on mark 2

grant69

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well It has been a trying weekend. I have made the decision that the 4AGE is not going to fit into Mazzy because of the chassis crossmember on the Mazda Chassis and the fact that the body is channeled. To get it to fit will require major chassis modifications and still the manifold will hang out the bonnet.

So it was back to the 2TG. This has changed all my plans, but on the otherhand has simplified everything as there is no EFI, so no digital dash etc. I have reinstalled the 2TG engine, found the headers supplied hit the chassis, I have simply wired the engine to get it cranking and I probably would have run if I had some fuel hose. I will now run some chrome trumpets on the quad mikunis and go for a really minimalist look in the engine bay. I also had modified the fuel tank for efi with an intank pump so that will all change now as well.

jimmy_d
Full Licence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it they say about "the best laid plans of mice and men"? I still think the 2tg will be a good option,Im planning to use one in one of my other projects (ke70).Any more news with the wiper yet as I am still interested and thought of asking if you would build and sell me one.

Scouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered something from the Mazda family seeing as it's a Mazda chassis?

Thinking along MX5 lines....

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but I got the Toyota engine so I'll put it to good use, I have a nearly rust free two door body for the 4AGE

grant69

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress today, I have bought a MX5 engine and gearbox today. From measurements supplied by seller it is very similar in dimension to 4AGE, except engine mounts are lower ie engine sits higher by about 5mm. Hope it all fits Yellow Convertible Will know by a fortnight

DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grant

I'm sure a lot of people will be watching with great interest. I certainly am. A sweet engine/gearbox. 1600 or 1800?

grant69

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON58VAN wrote:
Hi Grant

1600 or 1800?
Yes, the guy selling isn't sure as he is selling on behalf of someone else, it was running before the car was totaled, taking some risk but it was low kms, I intend to rebuild the engine, it does turn over and have compression. I'm pretty sure it is a 1600 though, when I get it I will know for sure as it is a late 93model (they changed engines that year) the car is ex brisbane

wallyg
4th gear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Mazzy Reply with quote

Hi grant just been looking at Mazzy and I was wondering if the peddal box and master cylinder and booster is Mazda 1000 ? I would be interested to know looks nice and tidy mate.
Cheers Wally

grant69

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pedal box and booster are from and early charade, don't know any more than that

wallyg
4th gear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Mazzy Reply with quote

Hi grant I dont suppose you would have a photo of one of the doors open showing the door lock and the striker how there fittedlooks neat from the outside mate.
cheers Wally

grant69

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doors are grafted ford festiva internals, so he has cut and grafted the whole lock and handle assy, with about 100mm either side of the metal, sort of an L shape. I will try and get a photo for you sometime

wallyg
4th gear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Mazzy Reply with quote

Thanks Grant yr a champ.
Cheers man.

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my new engine today !!!! I will start removing it from the partial body tonight

frosty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you get it out of the 1/2 cut ... measure the length .... is it going to fit in the morry engine bay ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: