Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

'57 Morris Minor New to GoldCoast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frosty wrote:
Congrats ... blinkers look ok too

Thanks Frosty, the blinkers could be a bit brighter especially during the day. Something that I will have to work on, not sure what wattage is being used as they are standard trailer lights, will see what can be run safely.

The safety guy had no qarms about them. I am just worred about the location.

dazle wrote:
Good one Jason. I'm looking forward to seeing it parked alongside Felix!

Yes will have to organise a photoshoot in the near future.

Cheers,
Jason

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update on the Morrie!

Been fixing up a few things here and there when I have had the time and money.
On the list was change the filler hose as the old one was very deteriorated. Had to reconnect the rear brake cable to the rear drum as the old pin somehow let go. Not sure how that happened. Fixing a few petrol leaks from the carbie.

Still on the To Do List is the following:

1. Still have a fuel leak only when tank is over half full, it seems to be leaking out from the flange nut where the fuel line is connected to the tank. I have pulled this apart before and tried to re seat it as best as I could but still have a very small fuel leak. Is there some sort of O ring that is suppose to be in there to get a good seal?

2. Well after taking it on the Australia Day Rally at Ormiston. Driving back in the rain from the meet I noticed that the water pools on the windscreen rubbers on the lower curved edge of windscreen and started to leak through into the interior. There was a nice stream that eventually run along the bottom of the dash and dripped in the foot.

3. Fuel guage not working now. Not sure if it was due to the rain or whether it is some electrical gremlin.

4. Leak around drivers side rear wheel, not sure if it is brake fluid from wheel cylinders or whether it is axle seal.

5. Annoying high pitched squeak that seems to only happens on start off and it is varies with speed. Maybe brakes getting caught or bearings.

6. Get a tool kit together for runs, the car has been great *touch wood* but would like to organise one just in case.

7. Reline the boot and maybe make up some drawers for tool kit.

8. Possibly move the high beam swiitch to the dashboard.

9. Still thinking about front parcel shelf as my one doesn't currently have one.

Anyway these should keep me going for a while. Still have heaps more on the list! So I won't bore you any more.

Cheers,
Jason

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can try thread tape on your fuel union nut,

dazle
overdrive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have plenty to occupy any spare time. I'll pm you about meeting up as have some current health problems Mad

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after spending a few hours sunday Morning before going to meet up with Dazle, my problems with the fuel gauge are solved for now at least.

I removed the spare wheel from the boot and lifted all the vinyl lining and checked out the connection on the fuel tank, it was all good no breakages, so I checked at the fuel gauge this was still intact as well. I checked continuity of wire all good there too.

Checked it again and it is still not working. I figured I would tap the glass on the speedo like the pilots did back in the day and low and behold the fuel gauge came to life. Very Happy

I am not sure how the fuel gauge operates or how the needle gets stuck. But I am so glad that it is now working. I thought that I might have to log my miles and work out how far I can get.

Anyway next problem awaits.

Cheers,
Jason

LRS
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Fuel Reply with quote

I reckon I would still be checking the MPG, the morry fuel gauges are not good at the best of times.
Mine shows full for about 10 litres of fuel then drops to 1/4 then 5 K's down the road it reads empty.
When I fill it I find I still have approx 5 litres of fuel left.

Best to test it first, trust it later...

I often have to give mine a tap on the nose to wake it up as well.. Eye Rolls

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, taken the Morrie for another run on the weekend with the Wolseley Club. Nice outing and drive from Gold Coast to South Maclean to Mt Tamborine. Here are a few shots from the day.

Cheers,
Jason

LRS
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: outing Reply with quote

I like the big splash at Tamborine... Great shot..
LRS
Leigh.

dazle
overdrive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Jason. How did the Morry go going up to Tamborine and which way did you go?

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Leigh I love that shot too!

Dazle,

We went up Tamborine from the Western side so past thunderbird park. The Morrie pulled pretty well up the hill, third gear most of the way up. At some stages I was trying to push some Wolseley's up the hill. Probably needs a little more power, but we weren't going up at a snails pace.

Coming down through eagle heights was a bit of an experience, major brake fade and lots of nice brakey smells but we did manage to get down in one piece. Luckily the handling is fairly good. When I got home I did start researching front disc conversions. lol

Cheers,
Jason

dazle
overdrive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun time Jason. They surprise me the way they pull. It's the brakes that I am always cautious of. I haven't been anywhere yet to experience brake fade in my Morry. I make it a practice of dropping back a gear or two even coming to traffic lights.
I always remember my Dad in his low light using the gears a lot.

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the top of the hill I came to a complete stop and then made my way down using the gears but still had brake fade, I wasn't game to use the handbrake as it was pretty slippery and I am not sure what it would do vechile wise. All good fun and definately a learning experience. I was not game to try Henry Roberts drive as that is worse than coming from Eagle Heights.

Cheers,
Jason

dazle
overdrive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very wise Jason. I hate Henry Roberts Drive at anytime even in a late model car.
Cheers

graham
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

It sounds like an interesting trip, did the Wolseley brakes fair any better than yours? Good brakes and tyres certainly make hill decent a lot more relaxed, they make driving the Morry anywhere more enjoyable. Being able to punch the car out of the corner knowing you can slow for the next corner means you can use the Minors good steering and handling rather than just surviving the decent.

The best mod I did to Morrx was the brakes, you can not beat power discs to make the drive more relaxed and enjoyable maybe not as exciting but being in control has its own rewards.

Cheers
Graham
Very Happy Very Happy Blue Sedan Very Happy Very Happy

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

Not sure how the Wolseleys got down the hill as this was when everyone departed ways and headed for home. I would say that they would of had similar issues as they are much heavier.

Graham, I couldn't agree more about good brakes and tyres, I could not fault the handling of the Morrie though specially around the twisties.

I will be looking at brakes as it is on the list. It does some fairly awful screeching specially after it has come to a stop, might be the wheel cylinders sticking but not 100% sure what is causing it.

I will consider my options later down the track, but power disc's does sound the go.

Cheers,
Jason

LRS
At rest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

Hi Jason,
I have recently put KE 70 Corolla discs on my Green machine with vh44 booster it now stops like a modern. A guy in Perth makes up a backing plate that makes it a very simple mod. It just bolts on. Or you could use the Morris major brakes (no engineering) He is a forum member.

BTW I have a set of Major brakes for sale.

Cheers,
Leigh.

Monk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use Torana discs which have the right centres for MM wheels, but they need boosting otherwise the pedal pressure is pretty drastic. Major brakes are good, make Leigh an offer!

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I am pretty sure that there is a Major set down at the Mother in law's place. I looked at them whilst packing the car and was thinking that I should of chucked them in. Will pick them up next time I am down there. Thanks for the offer LRS, good luck with the sale.

Monk, I figure the torana setup wouldn't be cheap and probably getting harder to find.

Anyway will pick up the Major's next time I am down there.

Cheers,
Jason

LRS
At rest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

Jason the Major brakes will do fine, I can hardly tell the difference from them and the discs.

I use my car as a daily so I went for discs but I never really noticed any fade with the Majors on.
7" to 9" is a big increase and it is an easy bolt on.

Leigh.

Monk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about how easy Torana discs are to find these days. I picked them up from the now defunct Morris Mania (it's mania, not magic), I think it was, in Adelaide more than 10 years ago. They're on the white car which, when time permits to pick it up again, will have a 4K-five speed transplant coupled with boosted Corolla discs etc. so the Torana discs will become surplus, or maybe go on Blackie with a booster sometime. Major drums are probably the best upgrade. Blackie has standard brakes which work okay when adjusted.

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much progess on my current list due to the wet weather, but hopefully things will start to fine up and I can get cracking.

I took the Morrie out for its usual outing to the Wolseley Meeting last night and on the way home, the IGN light came on. I pulled over straight away as I knew thes was was due to the generator and being connected to the waterpump via the belt, I didn't want to cook my engine.

After checking the belt was still intact and I managed to limp home, the car didn't seem to run hot, however it sounds as though a bearing has collapsed. I am not sure if it is the waterpump or the generator. I will be investigating further on the weekend to see what has happened.

Cheers,
Jason

dazle
overdrive

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Good luck with it! Reply with quote

Good luck with it Jason. Guess you won't know till you take them off. Sorry I haven't been in touch but I collapsed a couple weeks ago and ended up in hospital via ambulance so I have been taking things extra quite since.

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not good Dazle, hope everything is ok now. Glad to hear that you are taking it easy and resting up. Just take care of yourself mate, we will catch up again in due course.

I am sure I will figure out what is wrong on the weekend, if not before then as I am curious to see what is actually wrong.

Nice avatar pic by the way

Cheers,
Jason

dazle
overdrive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Jason. I like the pic to. Don't know how it got there I thought you being a whiz with the computer probably put it on! Am I right? Very Happy

stolzie
2nd gear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazle, wasn't me!

Must be those crazy Morris Down Under Admin Team that like giving people avatars. I didn't put mine up and it magically appeared.

Cheers,
Jason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: