Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Earth leakage - or something like that!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Earth leakage - or something like that! Reply with quote

How do you track down a problem of a small earth leakage in the electrical system?

It doesn't take long for my battery to go flat, maybe a couple of weeks (yes, relatively new battery, have always had the problem but as it doesn't get driven as much as it used to, this problem is showing up more regularly). I'm assuming something isn't quite right as I don't have the problem on other cars. The only things connected permanently to teh battery are a clock and the stereo memory.

any suggestion on how to track this down?

zabond
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first I'd disconect the clock & stereo then remove the + lead from post then lightly touch the lead on the post and see if there is a faint spark[best done at night in the dark]if there is you have a leak to earth,then start pulling fuses out to find whats causing it, can be a prick of a job but that's the only way I have done it

grant69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt, I don't think it will be either of those two, I suggest you will have a high resistance joint somewhere, and you will have some electrolysis happening somewhere causing the battery to go flat. If you have access to a megger you should be able to find it, just disconnect the stereo before you wack a 1000v down the line. If you can't borrow a megger I'd start cleaning all the earths, especially the headlights, its more likely to be something that draws alot of current that will be the culprit

Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, if I get a chance this weekend I will have a look. Option 1 sounds like a good first step as I don't have a Megger tester, but might see if some contacts can get their hands on one

Quote:
[best done at night in the dark]
Most of my work is now done after the kids are in bed, so checking it in the dark won't be a problem!!

Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't believe I actually think I had some success with this. With only 2 fuses left to check I thought it wasn't going to work. but without the fuse in for the interior lights, all seemed quiet - no spark on battery terminal. so cleaned door switches and checked boot light switch over, which seemed a little dodgy and then with fuse in all seemed well again. Next check then will be to charge everything up and see how it goes this time around

thanks guys

Matthew B
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow up, I seemed to still have problems after going through all this, battery would be almost flat in a week and didn't want to charge up well. So I took the battery out and took it back to the supplier to check. They recharged it and did their tests. Output was down about 30%. As it was only about 12 months old, walked away with a brand new one, replaced on warranty. Just wish I'd done that earlier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: