Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Next Rally 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » National Rally ~ Victoria 2017
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant69

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Next Rally 2017 Reply with quote

As no one club has put up their hand to host the next rally, and the Picnic raised the motion without notice at the delegates to setup up a National Body, I call upon the Picnic Club to put words into action and put their hands up to Host the next rally. Their speech at the presentation dinner was about how fantastic their club is in winning the club trophy 3 years in a row with just 23 members - Sthn Highlands put on a fantastic Rally 2yrs ago with 6 members. So my challenge to the Picnic Club is to put your words into action and give us the best rally so far

53s2mm
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a nats in 2017 and talk like this don't help
Oh and by the way dale has been band from this form so he is unable to reply
This kind of talk is why we are where we are today no club wants to do a rally because of all the wingers

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the exact discussion given by Gary Dowsley of the Picnic Club in the delegates meeting as to why we need a National Body, I'm just starting the discussion, if we do indeed need change as put forward, let them lead by example, I think the last 5 rallies I've been to have been fantastic, having said that I am not, nor every will be a trophy chaser, which seems to be the most controversial part of every rally. I will support whomever runs the next rally, and I am in no way denigrating anyone in the Picnic Club, but actions speak louder than words. Since the only two clubs showing any interest (which was begrudgingly) was WA and Canberra after being put on the spot, lets see a club who as far as I know has never hosted a Nationals, put their hand up.

53s2mm
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must let the three months run then you may have to eat humble pie

THE BIG MAAN
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day All. I have looked at this forum here for years reading postings from all kinds of people with there own thoughts & ideas on all subjects regarding Morris Minors, and until now have not seen the need to post.

I guess whoever this grant69 is, must not have been at the delegates meeting in Albury on Friday, as if he was, (and I am presuming it is a he) would off heard that the only agenda item that was listed, was forwarded to the National Rally committee in December of 2014 which, I might add, was established at the delegates meeting.

So for grant69 to say publically here, that the motion to propose the formation of a National Body, was raised without notice at the delegates meeting, is completely incorrect.

So to echo the words of Brian, "we must let 3 months run" and to those of us that have put their hands up and volunteered to do something proactive about keeping this great event alive and working towards the next phase of the Morris Minor National Rally congratulations for being on the steering committee, and to those that are just happy to sit in the background and past judgment and criticism, good on you, as one thing I have learnt from my time on this earth, it takes all sorts.

Regards
The Big Maan
Gary Dowsley

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry "Humble Pie" I am in no way trying to bignote myself, I don't think we have a problem with the Nationals at all. I am trying to stimulate conversation with the wider community of Morry owners to find out what everyone wants,thinks and feels. The morry community can only survive if all the owners/club members get involved. We can have the best structures and systems in place, but unless the members get involved and get behind this its just rules and regulations with no one going.

Monk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think name calling helps anyone. The fact was that while the motion proposing the national committee was lodged in December, it was not circulated until the day before the delegates' meeting. This had a number of unfortunate consequences: a) clubs were unable to discuss and have a position on the proposal, and b) it meant that some clubs may not have bothered to have sent delegates to the meeting because there was apparently nothing of note on the agenda.

The simple fact is that hosting a nationals is hard work. And the experiences of the past two nationals have been that they've caused divisions in individual clubs because individual's egos have been bruised in the process, also unfortunate.

The wash up afterwards has seen considerable public criticism of everything from the food served to the way judging has been conducted. Who would want to put their heads into the field of fire?

I'm only been to four rallies, Brisbane, Port, Moss Vale and Southern Highlands and, apart from grumbles from individuals who carped about this, that or the other grave mistake, each was well-run and the majority of participants went home well pleased.

The national rally is a creature of the clubs. The proposed national committee organisation needs to be mindful of this and the need for the event to move around the country and not be captured by one state or sectional interests.

The notion of concours and judging of cars is farcical and the amount of hot air that's expended over a few $20 trophies is staggering. However, I expect to be shot down for saying that, just try to keep it nice and polite and positive.

Bill Littlehales
At rest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: nationals Reply with quote

Hi Monk
As having just been on the committee for the 17th MM Nationals I think its time all the delegates and club menbers took a deep breath, slowed down and tried some positive thinking instead of trying to find fault with what was done in the past.
The Nationals is the largest event on the Morris Minor Clubs calender and the club that takes it on should be given due respect for that as the event we just held by the Albury Wodonga Morris Minor Car Club I felt we did as good a job as any past rallys.
What we tried for was more a social event rather than a competitive one in saying this itt is still great to see the very spectacular vehicles that arrive each year ,lets hope a decision is made very soon on the next Rally
cheers Bill Littlehales

Last edited by Bill Littlehales on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
53s2mm
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
to Bill and all the team from the AWMMCC, this was a great rally, with some great ideas and I had a ball, thank you.

yes we all need to step back and take a long look at the nat's.
as for club involvement, we seen first hand at this nat's, that the clubs no longer want to get involved in holding a rally, but still want to tell who ever does, what to do.
this I feel is one of the contributing factors, to the reason clubs no longer want to hold a rally.
we do need to look at a new start and a new way of doing things.

Brian

Monk

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think it's a pity no-one has put up their hand to organise the next rally.

My post above said that I have thoroughly enjoyed all four rallies I've attended, and I said quite publicly at the presentation night in Albury when presenting the Morris Down Under trophy to Bob Ball the AWMMCC had done an excellent job. This was never going to be in doubt given the great job they do with the Morry Muster each June.

Sadly though, it seems there have been plenty of critics who take the gloss off the successes, they're quite strident in some places. It's not helpful to point fingers, but there have been plenty of notable knockers, particularly in the recent past. They don't do the MM movement any service. Often they take a narrow focus, don't see the overall picture and overlook the good vibes that are generated when we all get together.

I don't have an argument with Brian's thoughts about why clubs don't want to take it on, I think that was part of the sentiment in my original post. I'll be supporting any club that wants to take the rally on.

David

BP Turbo
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: rally Reply with quote

what,s the lastet progress if any times marching on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » National Rally ~ Victoria 2017 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: