Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

My Moggie called... Moggie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crackers
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Quote:
That's the beastie. Are they repairable? ie, diaphragm and points kit?

If it is the same type as I bought, it is electronic--so no points. It is supposed to be totally maintenance free. And it is the correct pressure for the Minor (about 1-2 PSI).

https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/12-volt-SU-Style-Electric-Fuel-Pump-1-2psi-Morris-Minor/ZPN-00922

Keda59
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it gives you any comfort, I bought one of those, and it works a treat.

Cheers

Scott

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, mine just keeps clicking away, unlike an SU pump which builds up the pressure and then stops clicking (or only clicks now and then). Is this how yours works?

It's been suggested that an air leak can also cause them noisy (as opposed to the normal clicking) and I suspect I should investigate that before buying a new pump. Any suggestions on how I test for an air leak and how I'd find it?

I'm tempted to run a short pipe to the pump with one end in a jar of petrol - if it clicks away and then stops as it builds up the pressure, it would suggest there's a leak between the pump and the pickup... the next trick being to find it.

Keda59
I can steer now

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crackers

Sorry I can't assist regarding your pump, don't know of them.

A fuel pump as in the earlier EBay link was fitted to the car when I purchased it, however, it would sometimes click all the time and other times quieten down, then it died, fortunately I had another exactly the same on another Morry, so I fitted that.

I had a string of problems based around a non standard carby, so I changed to a HS2 carby and within that I believed the fuel pump was flooding the carburettor. So I moved away from that type of pump and purchased the Fuelflow, as in a previous post.

I preferred it for my application, as it is a 1-2psi. Haven't had any issues with it, running like a dream, and it mounts up exactly where the original Morris pump would fit. The previous one was located under the car down near the fuel tank.

Cheers

Scott

Scouse

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackers wrote:
Scott, mine just keeps clicking away, unlike an SU pump which builds up the pressure and then stops clicking (or only clicks now and then). Is this how yours works?
In my experience with the metal bodied Facet type pumps, they constantly click away so I assume this NZ pump does the same.

Is there a problem with the pump's operation, apart from noise? It's not loose in it's mount so magnifying the noise, is it?

Keda59
I can steer now

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone considering the Fuelflow pump. My experience is;

Upon turning the ignition key, first position, I can "sometimes" hear a slight muffled chatter, more so if the car has been sitting for quite sometime, I assume its priming it's self, then once primed it's extremely quiet, no chattering.

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keda59 wrote:
For anyone considering the Fuelflow pump. My experience is;

Upon turning the ignition key, first position, I can "sometimes" hear a slight muffled chatter, more so if the car has been sitting for quite sometime, I assume its priming it's self, then once primed it's extremely quiet, no chattering.

Then mine's either got problems or it's not a Fuelflow - looks like one though.

This weekend, new fuel hose in a jar of fuel, hopefully it goes quiet and I find a leak in the old bit of fuel tubing.

MorryStu
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The block type fuel pump I posted the link to HERE does tick, especially when you first turn the key on, then it dies down.

Dont worry, they are supposed to do that

Dont waste money on an SU or replica type, just get a simple block type like I have. They last forever and do exactly the same job.

Remember its just a fuel pump at the end of the day you dont need the most expensive one for the job

Any fuel pump that is a mechanical solenoid type will "tick" , including the SU type, so dont loose sleep over it

I have had problems with the SU type before, so they are banished from my vehicle in favour of the more reliable block type

DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do get a Facet-type pump ('block' appearance) remember that it is a pusher and must be mounted near and below the petrol tank. SU type pumps are pullers, and are best mounted high near the motor.

As the Facets are higher pressure, you need to take extra care with the float valve in the carb to avoid flooding.

MorryStu
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My block type pump works fine at the front bolted to the front inner guard, basically sucking

You can get different pressure pumps so make sure you get the low pressure one

DON58VAN
Full Licence

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Facet website:

"Can I mount the pump in my car's engine compartment?
We recommend that you mount the fuel pump no more that 12 inches from the fuel supply (gas tank). All our Electronic fuel pumps will push fuel rather than pull fuel. Some pumps only have suction limit of 12 inches, therefore you should mount as close as possible to the tank. "

MorryStu
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can certainly say that the fuel pump is a lot more than 12 inches from the fuel tank.

Daily driver, never had an issue.

In fact it worked that well that I had to play with the fuel float in the SU, and it is only the low pressure pump

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can confirm that the pump I have is a Fuelflow.
The rubber pipe leading into it, was clearly old and had cracked a bit, so I replaced that with nice, new stuff. The rest of the hose to the carby is fairly new and in good nick... and besides, wouldn't be giving me the clattering pump problem being downstream of the pump, so I turned on the ignition.

There was a horrendous clattering. BUT, it was the same clatter that's been concerning me, which is nice because it confirms that the problem is air in the pump.

However, the pump wasn't pumping and I didn't know how to prime it, so I started the engine. The hope was that by using fuel from the float bowl, the needle would open and allow the pump to pump air into the float blowl... which it must have done because suddenly, the clattering dropped away to a clicking and then the pump ticked happily to itself without a hesitation from the engine.

I reckon the pump had been sucking air through that old bit of pipe, hence the noisy, continuous clicking (with the engine off), the noisy clicking when driving and the periodic horrendous clatter.

So, although I'd need to take her for a drive to test things out properly, I think my fuel pump problems may have been fixed by about 80c worth of quarter inch fuel pipe. I certainly hope so.

MorryStu
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep

Had that before.

Golden rule No1.

Buy new fuel hose and filters everytime

And dont skimp on fuel filters. I run 3.

One at the fuel tank

One directly before the fuel pump

One between the fuel pump and carb.

They are just Z14's so cheap as chips ( $8 ) and good insurance

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to prang my Fiat this morning which means Moggie is now my only car until the insurance company asseses the Fiat when they'll almost certainly write it off. Even then, Moggie'll still be my only car because despite the Fiat being less than a year old, it was a dealer demonstrator and so is considered a second hand car (no new for old replacement) and because I got a really really good deal, and the 'agreed value' is based on the purchase price, I can't afford to buy a similar car. I think I've grown past modern cars anyway so will be looking for a classic to use as my every day drive.

Meanwhile, Moggie is my every day car Shocked

(yeah, it really IS Shocked )

Scouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackers wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. I bought my first Morris Minor in 1983 &, apart from a stint between 1992 - 1995, a Minor was my everyday car until 2013.

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
crackers wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. I bought my first Morris Minor in 1983 &, apart from a stint between 1992 - 1995, a Minor was my everyday car until 2013.

Yeah, but at the moment, Moggie is really a collection of Morris manufactured components wondering what formation they're supposed to be driving in. I'm not opposed to living my Morry, I'd just prefer something a little further up the tree to do it in.

On a positive note, my brake shudder issues appear to have become intermittent so maybe I can address the horrendous noise inside the cabin (it's actually painful - pretty sure it's just a shot exhaust resonating at the wrong frequency).

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in worrying about my situation and the condition of my Morry, I missed the most important message in your post - it IS possible to live by Morry.

Sorry for that and thanks for the message.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: