Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

my morrie NOW called Megs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: my morrie NOW called Megs Reply with quote

Fitted 1 later top frame with new quarter window rubber and bailey channel seals Yellow Convertible 1 job leads to another bailey channel is glued in so it won't come out in 1 piece so got new bailey channel from -MVR industrial at Penrith . but it looks good altogether again

you can see my new door in the background to replace the l/h door that has rust in the bottom- new second hand door is clean as no rust at all Yellow Convertible
Cheers Greg

Last edited by 1950convertible on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Thursday another morrie lover who lives near me Grahame, came over to help me pull down my morrie to change the timing case cover as I needed to fit another 1 with a catch can connected up to a PCV valve to help reduce the oil coming out of the rear main. Well put it all back together yesterday and road tested it today Red Convertible it has reduced the rear problem but now the timing case is leaking from the top, so we have to start all over again , the cover I had fitted had been repaired and it seems to be leaking just under the water pump I might just pull out the radiator and take off the fan to see if I can seal it up some how without changing the cover again. Yellow Convertible
Cheers Greg

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also put some old stickers on the front windscreen NRMA and service

you can see the oil at the front on the ground

Last edited by 1950convertible on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
MorryStu
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you have a hose running from the breather at the front running thru the manifold pre heating passage....

Why ?

Normally you would have hot water running thru the manifold pre heat passage

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car does not have a heater and it's an after market manifold so I thought it would look neater running it the way I have back to the PCV valve. I then have a hose running from the rocker cover to the air filter.
Cheers Greg

MorryStu
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable Very Happy

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went for a very cold drive this morning with the roof down , maybe it's time to put it up Yellow Convertible

crackers
Free Wheeling

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too cold Shocked
Yer not tuff enuff to own a convertible in winter

I remember living in Sydney with an MGB. The top only went up when it was raining... heavily. One mid winter long weekend, a group of us headed off into the mountains. A young lad had never been in a convertible before, and made quite a fuss about wanting to go in the MG.
So we let him.
And he complained because I wouldn't let him turn the radio on... but he stopped when he discovered how fast I attacked the corners. In those days before speed cameras and safety Nazis, the Bells Line of Road was a wonderous place for sports car and motorcycle alike.
Then he realised it was getting cold and wanted the top up. I just drove faster.

I did, however, decide he had a point when it started to snow Shocked

The funny thing is, the joke was on him. You see, the soft top on the MGB isn't overly good and there's a gap beside your shoulder. Eddies were blowing the snow in through that gap and let it build it up on his jacket, but I was having fun

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live up in the Mountains and with the wind chill factor lately it's been pretty cold love the story about the drive up to the mountains then it started to snow lol mine with the roof up doesn't seal to good either Yellow Convertible but hey that's part of the fun owning a convertible Very Happy

Keda59
I can steer now

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well Greg, that's what beanies and gloves are for, a small sacrifice for the enjoyment of being out in the car, looks great.

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep so true Thanks Yellow Convertible

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I put the left hand top door frame on yesterday with a new rubber and it still has an original rego sticker from 1990 which gives the car a bit of charm of yesteryear Yellow Convertible now I have fitted both later model ones just so I had rubbers , today I've taken my car to a mechanic up in the Blue Mountains to get the motor and box pulled out and a rear main seal kit put in to stop the oil leaking out of the rear. I needed to get it fixed as it would fail an inspection and I need 1 so I can put the car on Historic rego so it won't cost so much to run .
[/img]
I also fitted a red pin strip down the right hand side before I took it to the mechanic to see if I liked it , and I'll be doing the left hand side when I get it back as I like it

Cheers Greg

Last edited by 1950convertible on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting to get my car back as the parts had to come from the UK Yellow Convertible should get it back this week all going well as 1 thing lead to another can't wait to get it back and get it on historic rego Very Happy

Last edited by 1950convertible on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a late MG Midget/Sprite gearbox in mine. I just unbolted the hydraulic slave cylinder and fitted the Minor rod all bolts on to the same place.

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mechanic who's working on mine got a full conversion kit from the UK as no one sells them in Oz Eye Rolls we don't make anything here anymore , my clutch was working straight off the floor and it felt shit to be honest it felt like it had a brass button clutch Shocked how does your clutch feel in your car?

stracho
Full Licence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: h plates Reply with quote

Hi mate which club do you belong to ,as you will not get historic plates with the 1275 mtr in the car good luck

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My clutch feels no different to the original . I am running the Midget gearbox behind a 1100cc Morris/Austin A series motor.

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:
My clutch feels no different to the original . I am running the Midget gearbox behind a 1100cc Morris/Austin A series motor.

Shocked Hmmm maybe that's why I don't have my car back yet , motor and box were all together on Monday ready to go back in that day , it's now Thursday and still no phone call saying it's ready to pick up . The clutch and pressure plate in my car was as new so maybe they weren't the right 1's ? I soo miss my car been over 1 month now with the mechanic. I don't want to ring and annoy him as I don't want to rush him ,I just want a car I can jump in and drive anywhere. I'm going to the morris minor show and shine day at Parkes 1st of October and I want to do some klm's to make sure I'll get there in 1 piece Yellow Convertible
Greg

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is a linkage set up off a standard Minor 1000. Then fit it to your box and car.

Boeing Bob
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned guys, there is a lot of rumbling generally throughout the classic car fraternity at the moment about dobbing in guys who abuse the system by having their cars are on historic plates and those same cars are not 100% original.

If Scott reads this he might be able to tell us if there is any further talk about the "Modified Historic" plate scheme.

Beaver.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is modified and that is the reason I have has always been on full registration. And of course I use my Pensioner "free rego" on it. And I use it as I want,

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boeing Bob wrote:
Be warned guys, there is a lot of rumbling generally throughout the classic car fraternity at the moment about dobbing in guys who abuse the system by having their cars are on historic plates and those same cars are not 100% original.

If Scott reads this he might be able to tell us if there is any further talk about the "Modified Historic" plate scheme.

Beaver.

Ok thanks if I can't put mine on H plates it's no big deal really I'll wait and see what happens.
Regards Greg

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:
Mine is modified and that is the reason I have has always been on full registration. And of course I use my Pensioner "free rego" on it. And I use it as I want,

What mods have you done to your car?
regards Greg

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is modified to run in Modified A at National rallies. Over the last 3 nationals I have had two Ist places and a second.
Modifications as allowed.
1098 cc +60 thou 1160cc Motor fully balanced.
12G295Mini Cooper head hardened seats
Midget cam .
Twin Su carbys
modified distributor
Extractors
Major 9 inch brakes with booster and dual mater cylinder
Major wheels
Midget Gearbox
3.9 to 1 Midget diff

1950convertible
learning to change gears

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ballard wrote:
Mine is modified to run in Modified A at National rallies. Over the last 3 nationals I have had two Ist places and a second.
Modifications as allowed.
1098 cc +60 thou 1160cc Motor fully balanced.
12G295Mini Cooper head hardened seats
Midget cam .
Twin Su carbys
modified distributor
Extractors
Major 9 inch brakes with booster and dual mater cylinder
Major wheels
Midget Gearbox
3.9 to 1 Midget diff

NICE Very Happy Shocked it looks stock aren't they called period modifications ?? I'm in shock I really didn't see that coming.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: