Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Minor has decided it wants to be a full time Christmas tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millytheminor
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Minor has decided it wants to be a full time Christmas tree Reply with quote

alright so I picked up my minor a couple of weeks ago, all working fine until yesterday, the old girl has decided she wants to light up even when the ignition is off (all the brake lights, indicator, fuel gauge etc still work with no ignition). Not the most experienced person with vehicle electrics, so any help would be appreciated

Hope to pick your brains and steal knowledge long into the future with my new minor Yellow Sedan

Scouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought is that the ignition switch has fallen apart inside & is permanently 'on' but because the Morry only has 2 fuses, one for ign only & one fully live, it's possible that there's a feed from the 'live' side to the 'ign' side.

Are you up to using a test light to work out which fuse does what? If so, remove the ign fuse & see if you still have your Christmas display.

If the lights stay on, there's a feed somewhere. If the lights go out, try isolating the ign switch.

Start there & let us know how you go. If you're not up to that sort of work, it might be best to see a sparky.

Millytheminor
I'm new - be gentle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
My first thought is that the ignition switch has fallen apart inside & is permanently 'on' but because the Morry only has 2 fuses, one for ign only & one fully live, it's possible that there's a feed from the 'live' side to the 'ign' side.

Are you up to using a test light to work out which fuse does what? If so, remove the ign fuse & see if you still have your Christmas display.

If the lights stay on, there's a feed somewhere. If the lights go out, try isolating the ign switch.

Start there & let us know how you go. If you're not up to that sort of work, it might be best to see a sparky.

Cheers for the steer in the right direction, you're going to piss yourself laughing at this previous owner banana up, she'd put the fuses on the wrong side of the holders, forcing them together and therefore ignoring the ignition.

The joys of being an 18 year old with an 1958 car, I don't have much a clue what stuff is supposed to look like without being taught/googling it ahaha

Monk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ha. What a crack up. I used to double up the fuses when I was an 18 year old driving my first MM1000 as a student when I didn't have my key! Someone older and wiser told me how to do it. The MM is a pretty easy car to lift! Have a heap of fun with your MM and welcome to MDU!

There's a lot of good reading here, and don't be too shy to ask, Scott is a font of wisdom, to say nothing of some of the others on here.

Cheers

David

Scouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he, well done with such an easy fix!!
You can do the same thing with the earlier cars with the fuses in the regulator box. Remove the reg box clip & it fits neatly across the fuses.
It makes life easy in the engine bay sometimes, saves ducking into the car to operate the switch.

Scouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millytheminor wrote:
The joys of being an 18 year old with an 1958 car, I don't have much a clue what stuff is supposed to look like without being taught/googling it ahaha
I started off much the same, except I was a 17yo with a 1957 car Very Happy , still with them 33 years later . They're a great little car to learn on.

Monk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I learned quite a bit of mechanics in the early days, and got the courage to have a tinker, force of necessity as a struggling student! Ran a car and had a social life all for the princely sum of $15 a fortnight! But it was 1971.

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes me too in a 1950 Convertible, did the fuse trick and also learn how to put a piece of cardboard (usually from a cigarette packet) behind the pump points to keep it ticking over. Eye Rolls

Last edited by John Ballard on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kel
我能行

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to forget the usage of the foil out of the cigarette packet to wrap around a glass fuse, to get you home.
Then of course, you forget about it......until it happens again

Monk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I wish I'd known about the cigarette pack trick, it used to give me the pip when the points in the pump burned out. I'd have to jump out and give it a pump until I could afford to buy new ones because from memory simply sanding them with emery cloth didn't work for long! (We are talking nearly 50 years ago!)

John Ballard
valued contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cardboard just bought them (the points) closer together and usually worked till the rollers knocked the cardboard out.
Not a substitute for cleaning and adjusting the points though. Very Happy Eye Rolls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » Electrics, Instrumentation & Security All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: