Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

Can you tell me exactly what model Morris I have?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mor Nor
I am not the Stig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Can you tell me exactly what model Morris I have? Reply with quote

Hello all,

A few years ago I purchased a 2-door Morris Minor in average condition for $600 as a restoration project. However, despite all the sites and books I've looked into I am still hitherto unable to ascertain exactly what model Morris I have.

Under the bonnet, the Car (Chassis) and Engine number sit with each other and display these:

Chassis no: 130560/15471
Eng no:132373

Now, the omission of the three-lettered, two-numbered ID code that prefixed the Car (Chassis) no. suggests that the car was built before April 1952 (when the said 5-digit ID prefix was introduced). However, the car was bought in a beige/brown colour with brown upholstery, a colour scheme not employed until July 1952, 3 months after this prefixing of ID codes began.

As a result, I am very confused, and it would be a pleasure if some knowledgeable person out there could guide me through what each of these digits mean on the chassis no. in determining the vehicle's identity and origin.

tortron
Got the hang of this ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there an smm before the chassis number?

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at all the lucas stuff, it's dated, find 2 or more dates the same & your right, some parts probably been changed over the years.

wiper motor, gen, starter, regulator & fuse box.
Trev
Aus

Mor Nor
I am not the Stig

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore my first post, I overlooked embarassingly that since there is no prefix before the Chassis no. it is difficult to ascertain exactly what model it is.

New discovery:

Turns out the motor has the build date '26/05/1951' on it, so the car itself couldn't have rolled off much later. I am guessing the vehicle itself was produced sometime after June 1951, as it was in that month that the glove box emblem changed from chrome and enamel to plastic.

My intial confusion over why the car was painted in 'brown', a colour that wasn't used until months after the beginning of prefixing ID codes, may now be solved. It may turn out that the Morris is painted in 'Gascoyne Grey', but I have searched over literally an hour through the internet to no avail for an example of the colour.

Is this 'Gascoyne Grey'? And why is the colour so seemingly rare?

Also, how much could I expect for an MM of such average, restoration-necessary quality? I've scoured Australian classifieds for MM's and so far have found none for sale.

Cheers.

Mor Nor
I am not the Stig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'BUMP' - can anybody tell me whether the colour used on my Morris is 'Gascoyne Grey'?

frosty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mor Nor wrote:
'BUMP' - can anybody tell me whether the colour used on my Morris is 'Gascoyne Grey'?

Can't tell you the colour but here a bit of info

Have a look here

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identify.htm

Body Colours: Duration of use

Gascoyne Grey Sep 1950 63617 MM Jul 1952 153743 MM

cheers

frosty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another source with a paint code

http://www.minormania.com/feature.php?catid=-1&id=1994

Mor Nor
I am not the Stig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Frosty wrote:

Thank you very much. This link gave my my answer: it is indeed painted in Gascoyne Grey (ICI=2783).

One more question to any MM afficianados roaming around here - how much would my MM be worth down under? The only examples I can really find are 1000's and the odd Series-II for sale.

The body is in average condition (slight rust on the wheel caps), the original engine is still in tact in reasonable condition and the trim is in excellent condition.

frosty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mor Nor wrote:

One more question to any MM afficianados roaming around here - how much would my MM be worth down under? The only examples I can really find are 1000's and the odd Series-II for sale

As you're in Victoria you could contact the Victorian clubs

Triumph Man
valued contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mor Nor wrote:
Sir Frosty wrote:

Thank you very much. This link gave my my answer: it is indeed painted in Gascoyne Grey (ICI=2783).

One more question to any MM afficianados roaming around here - how much would my MM be worth down under? The only examples I can really find are 1000's and the odd Series-II for sale.

The body is in average condition (slight rust on the wheel caps), the original engine is still in tact in reasonable condition and the trim is in excellent condition.

$1000- aprox
Trev
Aus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: