Morris Minor ShopMorris Down Under Forum Forum Index Classic Car Trader

My ol boy Obsidian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twin_one85
I can do it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: My ol boy Obsidian Reply with quote

Meet Obsidian - otherwise known as Sid. He's a black 1955 split screen who will eventually get OBSIDIAN number plates... once my funds build up again Shocked
He's got a Cortina 1600 engine and running gear, new suspension, radiator, wiring and disc brakes. He even has indicators Very Happy

I'm getting to know his personality quirks - like giving him extra stopping time, the drivers door that doesn't want to close, the mystery light under the dash that sometimes flicks on, and the broken odometor that means I ran out of petrol last week Eye Rolls Thank heavens for jerry cans Embarassed

There are a few jobs that need doing - getting a new windscreen because the current one is cracked, getting a tune up so I can drive him every day, finding out where the boot is leaking and sealing it, painting the shelf under the dash, and eventually getting a new paint job..... but that's waaaaay down the track Very Happy

Ok well that's all I can think of to tell you about Sid - my name's Sonja and I'm 22 (so I'm one of the youngest members of the WA Morris Car Club). I'm studying my Bachelor of Communications in Screen Studies at Uni. I am a freelance camera operator and work at Access 31 television station in Perth on the weekends - which is why Sid got to be on TV a couple of weeks ago Very Happy

That's it for me - I would add some photos to this post if I could figure out how to...
This is a great site too - with good info and I like reading about everyone's Morry stories.

dirty hands
At rest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome

nice to know your morry is running so well and is in good health

for his age

good bunch the Perth club

grant69

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome, this may help with posting photos http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2103&highlight=posting+photos

Scouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sid & Sonja.
It sounds like Sid just needs a little work to get in shipshape condition.

As for the boot leaks, there's a few spots to check:
Filler neck seal
Boot seal, especially if it still has the seal on the body
Badges
Handle
Hinges
Bumper mounts

Hopefully it will be something simple for you.

twin_one85
I can do it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks guys Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and tips guys! Very Happy

I'll hopefully work on the boot this weekend - if it ever stops raining. Oh well that's what tarps were invented for...
The door handles on Sid have been painted black - what's the best way to bring it back to chrome? I don't want to use something that will damage the chrome.

grant69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your best bet is to remove them from the car and use paint thinners it should wipe right off after a few seconds, don't get it on your paintwork though, same thing applies

twin_one85
I can do it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Ta Reply with quote

Thanks! Very Happy

twin_one85
I can do it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Really Really bad news Reply with quote

So Ok I guess I should have got an expert to look at Sid before I bought him, but I figured the seller would be 100% honest........ and I though it was a bargain price...

$5000 MINIMUM in repairs Embarassed Mad Shocked gasp!
The engine has to come out and the Chassis rails need replacing coz there are cracks running through them, the wheel legs need replacing, something about the disc brakes being welded together, the rear Gen bar mount (?) needing repairs and about 4 other things but I can't read his handwriting.
It's a bit of a shock but I'm going to get a second opinion and then I suppose I'll start saving...
Mind you the body has no rust, the paint job is ok and the interior in good condition so as long as the costs don't run more than 6 or 7 grand I will be willing to have them done for my boy. It's just a kick in the guts when the mechanic tells me to either pay up or sell this one and try to find one in a better condition. Not an option right now...

Opinion requested - the mechanic suggested I replace the Cortina engine with a slightly smaller Datsun engine to save room in the engine bay and so the chassis rails aren't put under too much stress in the future. But if I get the rails replaced and maybe strenghtened will the body be able to handle the weight of the engine? Coz the engine is in good nick and I don't want to think about the cost of getting a new one.........
Eye Rolls

(But it's so worth the extra stress when I'm driving through town and everybody checks Sid out Very Happy )

grant69

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would join the local Morris club if you haven't already, here you will get honest opinions about your car from people who know about them. Getting a chassis rail replaced shouldn't be a major deal, they are readily available and I'm sure someone in the club could point you in the direction of someone able to do the repairs for a reasonable price

twin_one85
I can do it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I joined the WA club so I'll have a chat to some of them at our next meeting.

Yay I just got my new windscreen wipers from ESM spares... Very Happy

frosty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Really bad news Reply with quote

twin_one85 wrote:
So Ok I guess I should have got an expert to look at Sid before I bought him,

YES True
Quote:
but I figured the seller would be 100% honest........

NO.... NOT true
Quote:
and I though it was a bargain price...

...... ALL morry's are a bargain ..... IF you know what to look for and then advise the seller ... " as Daryl says ... your dreaming "

Quote:
The engine has to come out and the Chassis rails need replacing coz there are cracks running through them, the wheel legs need replacing, something about the disc brakes being welded together, the rear Gen bar mount (?) needing repairs and about 4 other things but I can't read his handwriting.

See above
Quote:
It's a bit of a shock but I'm going to get a second opinion

YES Definately
Quote:
$5000 MINIMUM in repairs Embarassed Mad Shocked gasp!
.... It's just a kick in the guts when the mechanic tells me to either pay up or sell this one

The second AND/or third opinion from someone who knows AND works on Morry's will be the best bet for you. - There will be a few people from the Club who will be more than happy to have a look and offer an un biased opinion to you.
Eye Rolls

Quote:
(But it's so worth the extra stress when I'm driving through town and everybody checks Sid out Very Happy )

Ahhhh ... the joy of being an owner of a Morris .... or two ... or thr...... Very Happy........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Morris Down Under Forum Forum Index » My Morry All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: